BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See pic. I've got some oil coming through this fastener. The volume in this pic is after a twenty minute drive for reference so not much but not exactly dry.

Is that enough to cause lean conditions?

I don't think it is but figured I'd poll the group. New CCV, already smoke tested, etc. so I wanted to ask.

I'm going to have another post later that's more in depth with Fusion logs and the like but wanted to ask this one quickly.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I don't think this very small leak can cause enough air entering the crankcase to cause too much air bypass the air mass sensor and upset the mixture.

·
Registered
2003 325i (M54B30 swap)
656 Posts
I would say probably not. It could, and obviously and leaks post-TB upset the engine management and running condition much more than pre TB leaks. When my car was running so lean the engine would miss and backfire through the intake, I replaced the VCG and the rubber grommets for the bolts. Sometimes you even can have cracks in the plastic valve cover that you can’t easily see from the top. Again, purely based on your picture that’s probably not leaking enough to matter much, but it certainly could be.

·
Registered
2003 325i (M54B30 swap)
656 Posts
You’ve got lean error codes? P0171 and/or P0174?

·
Registered
243 Posts

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
2,476 Posts
Positive pressure and negative have two distinct differences

Tantamount to a A/C system that holds vacuum but leaks freon. And/or the other way around.

The cover could leak a little bit of oil but has the potential to suck quite a bit of false air.

My point is looking at a oil leak and trying to judge how much vacuum it's pulling is sort of fruitless.

I love these guys with hands on the oil fill cap and saying it's good. I check them all the time with a manometer, my trained hands still can't tell me how much vacuum is the engine pulling.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Positive pressure and negative have two distinct differences

Tantamount to a A/C system that holds vacuum but leaks freon. And/or the other way around.

The cover could leak a little bit of oil but has the potential to suck quite a bit of false air.

My point is looking at a oil leak and trying to judge how much vacuum it's pulling is sort of fruitless.

I love these guys with hands on the oil fill cap and saying it's good. I check them all the time with a manometer, my trained hands still can't tell me how much vacuum is the engine pulling.
That's a good point Don, thank you. The valve cover does have new gaskets so I'll pull it off to make sure everything is seated correctly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts