BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bottom Line: 2001 325ci conv. ZF transmission went out. A few years ago I had to replace the engine and did so with a 330. I'm about to buy a transmission and have the shop picked out to do the work but they asked very good questions about the switch. They don't do mod work and don't want it to go bad.
Since I already have the 330 engine (no issues putting it in), can I go ahead and replace 325 trany with 330?
Questions the shop is asking...that I can't answer:
Does the linkage sit up/back is it going to line up?
Is the length of the driveshaft the same?
Linkage/Crossmember going to be ok?

Basically...will the 330 transmission bolt up simply with no mod?

Could really use you guys help. :bow:
I'm scared to buy and ship the wrong transmission but would REALLY like to use this opportunity to switch out with 330. I'm one step closer to having a 330 in my garage. All I lack are bigger brakes at this point if I get the new trany. Thanks!

·
Banned
2,200 Posts
i know for a fact that the 330 tranny will mount up to your engine without any issue. however, i don't know much about the drive shaft, linkage, and the transmission control unit. you might want to cross reference REALOEM to see if there are any difference between the two transmission.

good luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know for a fact that the 330 tranny will mount up to your engine without any issue. however, i don't know much about the drive shaft, linkage, and the transmission control unit. you might want to cross reference REALOEM to see if there are any difference between the two transmission.

good luck
Thank you flashtwosix,
That would make sense why the new 330 engine fit the current 325 trany.

Anyone know of any issues with fitting the shaft, linkage and transmission control unit?

·
Banned
2,200 Posts
Thank you flashtwosix,
That would make sense why the new 330 engine fit the current 325 trany.

Anyone know of any issues with fitting the shaft, linkage and transmission control unit?
You are welcome. anytime but come on man...you are killing me. people on here is willing to help you out more if you ARE WILLING TO HELP YOURSELF. don't be lazy dude.

go to realoem and after 3 seconds you can find your answer.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partxref.do?part=26111229565

there ...I just did 50% of the work for you. what does the above tell you? will it fit?

·
Banned
2,200 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes. Sorry, I realized I sounded dumb/lazy after my initial reply by not explaining anything. Everything looks good except the driveshaft. But realoem is showing two different kinds when I look at the two models. So I'm not sure if this is an apples to apples comparison? 325 shows a swivel joint, when I compare to 330 they only show a cv joint? Definetely different where it connects to the trany but again I don't think this is the proper comparison? As of now I feel it only safe to stick to 325 :(
Bentley manual did me no good either.

·
Banned
2,200 Posts
real oem should also tell you the size/length of the drive shaft. I think your biggest concern would be the control unit for the tranny. everything else can be swapped, replaced, and bolt up fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is what RealOEM shows me but its not the right part. http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BS53&mospid=47707&btnr=26_0200&hg=26&fg=05
Its for the 6 speed. Do you think I should call some shops? Who will give me the time of day to determine if the drive shaft and control unit are the same? The control unit from all the pics does seem identical. This is where I've had issues with REALOEM. They are not showing the automatic transmission driveshaft that is showing for the 325 but who know's I could be wrong.
You've been a big help. I really appreciate it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts