E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have recently bought an e46 318CI and want to improve the condition of my carbon fibre trim (mainly on door handles). Is there anyway I can remove or reduce the scratch marks on the carbon fibre trim? In the long term I will probably replace them, but for now I would like to try and improve their condition. Thanks.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'd rewrap it. Itll preserve your semi rare trim for when you want to refinish it, and cover up the blemishes.
3M Carbon Fiber Wrap. The trim is very easy to remove, just takes a bit of force and a plastic wedge/pry tool.
~$50 total and you'll have some left over.

·
:D
7,334 Posts
are they real carbon fiber? if so, you can polish them. if they're matte or just a wrap or something, there's no way to really fix that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
are they real carbon fiber? if so, you can polish them. if they're matte or just a wrap or something, there's no way to really fix that.
Its the original M sport interior package from 2004 - so I'm guessing that would be real carbon fibre? i can try polish tomorrow, thanks

·
7,334 Posts
Its the original M sport interior package from 2004 - so I'm guessing that would be real carbon fibre? i can try polish tomorrow, thanks
if it's the same interior as the american cars got, it's not carbon fiber it's just a design. but it's very valuable. it's called the "cube" trim. there's black and silver versions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if it's the same interior as the american cars got, it's not carbon fiber it's just a design. but it's very valuable. it's called the "cube" trim. there's black and silver versions.
Ah okay, yes its the black one! good to know its valuable I want to restore it to it to brand new condition soon

·
7,334 Posts
since it's the cube trim, i'm not sure there's a clear coat you can polish. i have a faint memory of people restoring those cube trims. upon searching, i found a few posts of people using different ways to repair them. it's worth searching for "e46 cube trim repair" and looking at stuff, but here's one i found:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
since it's the cube trim, i'm not sure there's a clear coat you can polish. i have a faint memory of people restoring those cube trims. upon searching, i found a few posts of people using different ways to repair them. it's worth searching for "e46 cube trim repair" and looking at stuff, but here's one i found:
Amazing thank you very much!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts