BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, my system is very very specific in the tuning, im very picky and i finally have it tuned perfectly the way i like it on my alpine 7998 which has a built in eq that is just insane... all the setting are in curves and thigns liek that, i had a professional guy from alpine come and tune it for me... there is no way i can replicate these setting just becasue i dont know how to do most of the fine adjustments... now i always wanted to have a popout screen though... i am very worried though of how my system will sound... i was unhappy with the sound for liek 2 months until we got it perfect....all the eqs at the amps are turned off... only the eq at my headunit is active... can a aftermarket eq solve this problem maybe? i dunno if anyoen is familiar with the alpine 7998 but the eq is very very speciifc and is not just bass/treble controls... it has parametic curves for your mids, highs, and lows and everythign in between... is there a specific flipout that has very good sound quality/ built in eq? thanks guys

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
Are you talking about getting another Alpine? Sure, why not since the Alpine LCD HUs have a 4V out.

Usually, an EQ is used for minor tonal adjustments. If you get bad sound without an equalizer, you might want to reconsider speaker selection, phasing, crossover points and/or placement.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes my system sounds very dull without a eq... it doesnt sound better than stock (beside the subs obviosuly), as for speaker selection- they are one if not the best components on the market, phasing-what is that can you please expand, i always hear about it but never know what it actually is. and crossover points.. thats all done at my eq, and placement i cant move my speakers, i dont want to creat custom pods or kicks... thanks for all the help bro... but i really need this eq that my headunit has!

·
mod-er-at-or-er
1,275 Posts
pimpn04coupe said:
yes my system sounds very dull without a eq... it doesnt sound better than stock (beside the subs obviosuly), as for speaker selection- they are one if not the best components on the market, phasing-what is that can you please expand, i always hear about it but never know what it actually is. and crossover points.. thats all done at my eq, and placement i cant move my speakers, i dont want to creat custom pods or kicks... thanks for all the help bro... but i really need this eq that my headunit has!
Get that a flip out screen and an alpine eq h700. The eq has all the things your deck has and more. It runs around 650 bucks.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
damn def cant afford that i was gonna drop liek 900 on a screen max...nm i guess i dont really need a screen

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
Phase is simply the polarity. On your amp and speaker, if you have the + hooked up to the +, its "in phase" if you have the + hooked up to the -, its out of phase aka reverse polarity.

Changing the polarity slightly alters the timing/intensity of the sound wave when it reaches your ear. That's usually the first thing I do when I'm tuning. It takes some time but you have to try every combination. Although slight in most cases, altering the polarity can make a difference. If you are not really concerned with SQ, don't bother. If you are, you may want to explore this.

If you get some cancellation in the bass region, reversing the polarity may also help...but you'd want to keep both subs in phase...otherwise weird things happen.

FYI, I have my right mid and left tweet out of phase. Kind of weird but that was the best sounding combo, IMO.

·
Registered
7,635 Posts
You could go over the settings and write them down, to get a feel for what has been done as far as crossovers, time alignment, equalization, etc. You could then try to duplicate the settings in the next head unit. If it does not work, then you might have to re-tune the system professionally.

If you want some tutorials of basic car audio and some technical info, check out my website: http://home.comcast.net/~customcarstereo/frame_main.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts