BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car, an 06 ZHP vert, started yesterday with an erratic idle and seemingly a great loss of power...it ran like sh*t. Decided not to drive it and by the time I shut it off, my "Service Engine" light came on. It sat overnight.

Tried again this morning, same deal. Light comes on after about a minute.

Seemed to make a very slight difference when I removed the oil cap. That sounds crazy, I'm sure.

Vacuum leak?

I know there are some trick to get the OSD to tell you different things, from engine temp to software versions...will it also tell me what code I'm throwing?

I'm not a mechanic so I need somewhere to start. Thought about checking all the spark plugs one by one, and they are probably due for replacing, but I really don't have time to spin my wheels guessing. I also don't have money to just bring it in to the stealership with my son's wedding coming up in March ($7k+ Going to that!).

Any help is greatly appreciated!

// Radar //

·
Registered
10,142 Posts
Without knowing the codes that you have, anything you do is a guess.

You can get a module that plugs into the OBD II data port and sends information to your phone or tablet, and then you can download a free ap, or buy one, that displays what the data is. The module runs to about 20 bucks, and the ap is 5. For under $30, you can have a scan tool that will tell you more than you ever hoped to know. The module comes in a bluetooth version and a wifi version. I have the wifi, and I find that I have to jump through some very minor hoops to get the data from my phone to my PC where I can turn it into charts and graphs. I'm not sure, but I think the bluetooth version will remove the hoops.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Without knowing the codes that you have, anything you do is a guess.

You can get a module that plugs into the OBD II data port and sends information to your phone or tablet, and then you can download a free ap, or buy one, that displays what the data is. The module runs to about 20 bucks, and the ap is 5. For under $30, you can have a scan tool that will tell you more than you ever hoped to know. The module comes in a bluetooth version and a wifi version. I have the wifi, and I find that I have to jump through some very minor hoops to get the data from my phone to my PC where I can turn it into charts and graphs. I'm not sure, but I think the bluetooth version will remove the hoops.
Sounds very interesting...do you have the brand available, or who sells it?

·
Registered
502 Posts
If you have an Android or Windows Phone, use this bluetooth adapter ( http://www.amazon.com/iSaddle-Bluet...d=1423249686&sr=8-3&keywords=obd+ii+bluetooth ) and Torque app for $4.99 (Android) or OBD Auto Doctor (Windows Phone, forgot price ~$10, I have this one).

If you have an iPhone, use a wifi adapter ( http://www.amazon.com/iKKEGOL-OBD-I...F8&qid=1423249741&sr=8-3&keywords=obd+ii+wifi ) and BMWhat app I believe is the best one for iPhone. People, correct me if I'm wrong, I have an iPhone, but I don't use it for car diagnostics.

·
Registered
51 Posts
With an iphone I use the elm327 wifi ODBII adapter and EngingLink app. You can pull custom PIDs with EngineLink like short term fuel trim and other vitals. For around $25 USD you can know a lot about whats going on under the hood. Beats going to Autozone.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Autozone or Advance Auto, maybe Pep boys too, they will read your codes for
Free and print them out for you. You then can go on line and look up each one.
That's if you need to know right away. While you wait for your phone hook up!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 7 of 7 Posts