BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my gear indicator is constantly flashing and I think I have the issue narrowed down to the hood sensors. It looks like one of the pins is bent so that when the hood is down it does not click the sensor. I purchased replacements (used off of eBay) but one looks like it won't last long until it is bent.

Is there any easy way to bypass these sensors? To me this is a pointless piece of over engineering on BMW's behalf. I have searched but found nothing. Also could not find a DIY as to removal and replacement. Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I believe all you have to do is short out the sensor connector. Unplug it and run a wire between both pins.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe all you have to do is short out the sensor connector. Unplug it and run a wire between both pins.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply! I'm not too experienced in electrical stuff. Have you seen a diagram on this or a DIY?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Cut the two wires. Strip the insulation. Twist the wire ends together. If you have a soldering iron use that on the wire ends. Seal with either electrical tape or heat shrink tubibg.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Cut the two wires. Strip the insulation. Twist the wire ends together. If you have a soldering iron use that on the wire ends. Seal with either electrical tape or heat shrink tubibg.

No. If you have to explain how to short two wires together to a guy who says he's not too experienced in electrical stuff, guy should just back away slowly from the vehicle and let a shop handle the issue. Some things/people can't be fixed.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I definitely do not want to cut and splice any wires. I didn't know if there was an easier non-permanent/reversible solution. I might keep my eyes out for a better set of sensors as the ones I bought don't look like they will last too long.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Yeah I definitely do not want to cut and splice any wires. I didn't know if there was an easier non-permanent/reversible solution.
I sure have one for you: disconnect the wire connector off the hood switch, then depending on the shape of the connector, a modern fuse can be inserted to short out the 2 wire, or make yourself a U shape copper jumper to insert. Those hood sensors just to meet the US DOT regulation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts