BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi. I have a 2004 325xi. The ABS, transmission, Service Engine and a few other lights came on recently. When I read the codes, I got the following:
  • FB: No CAN identification EGS
  • 3E: No message from EGS control unit
  • 3D: Activation, oxygen-sensor heater behind catalytic, bank 2
  • 4F: Activation, oxygen-sensor heater behind catalytic, bank 1
  • 37: Activation, oxygen-sensor heater before catalytic, bank 2,
  • 19: Activation, oxygen-sensor heater before catalytic, bank 1
  • D9: Signal CAN EGS.
How do I diagnose what triggered all of these codes?
In your views, what’s likely to be the root cause?

·
Registered
2000 E46 323i, 3.0L and 2.0L Z3's
431 Posts
Have you recently been off-roading in the E46?

Get it up in the air and check the wiring for the O2 sensors and the transmission for damage or water ingress.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your prompt response. “Hahaha” to the off roading question; I’m a senior citizen with my days of adventure long behind me. I recently had the oil pan gasket and steering rank replaced by my mechanic. The dashboard lights were not on and the engine was not throwing up any codes before the repairs. I will check the O2 sensors wires tomorrow. Sorry for this basic question, but where do I find wiring to transmission?

·
Registered
431 Posts
LOL, with a user name of RockBoy, it just came to mind that you might have been out rock hopping.

The EGS is the automatic transmission computer. There is wiring that goes into the transmission of the right side of the transmission, your passengers side. My thinking of a wiring fault/damage comes up as a common point of failure for both the EGS and 02 faults as they pass under the car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your clear instructions. I will trying tracing the wiring to sensors and transmission tomorrow. Cheers!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven’t been able to raise the car in the air yet. But I closely inspected upper cables and two are damaged. They seemed to have been burned thru from resting against the engine or another hot object. Could these be damaged cables be contributing to my problem?

1E510C60-CE54-47BB-96E6-3073C610A7E8.jpeg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again for your quick reply. Is there a way to diagnose if those damaged spots are causing my problem? Or should I just go ahead and replace the cables?

·
Registered
431 Posts
The only way to tell, is to strip back the burnt plastic and see what sort of damage has occurred.
  • It could be as simple as binding the individual wires with insulation tape.
  • You may have to cut out damaged wire and solder in a small piece and use heat shrink to insulate the solder joints.
  • Worst case is having to replace the wiring. As I not sure where exactly the damage is, it could be a case of replacing the 02 sensors to get new wiring, or if its on the car harness side of the 02 connector, finding a second hand engine harness.
If this is beyond your DIY skills, then it is off to an Indy or dealer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL, with a user name of RockBoy, it just came to mind that you might have been out rock hopping.

The EGS is the automatic transmission computer. There is wiring that goes into the transmission of the right side of the transmission, your passengers side. My thinking of a wiring fault/damage comes up as a common point of failure for both the EGS and 02 faults as they pass under the car.
Thank you, thank you, thank you. Problem is gone. Knock on wood.

Before tampering with the damaged wires, I decided to change the #4 fuse in the fuse box under the hood, in case it had shorted out. Right away, the warning lights on the dashboard went away. I cleared the codes, and they didn’t return. Drove around for 30 minutes this evening, still no problem. If fuse blows soon, I’ll move on to fix or replace wires.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
1,956 Posts
O2 sensor wire is extremely tough. Hence why we save old wire from O2 sensors for repairs to the trunk wiring harness' as they pass through the body to the boot lid.
At times I'm rather amazed how much touching of the exhaust it takes to effect the wire itself. You're looking at the outer sheathing.

Properly reroute the O2 wires into the holder tabs around the back of the valve cover.
P.S. Anytime one has the engine fuse carrier open, replace ALL the fuses.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
O2 sensor wire is extremely tough. Hence why we save old wire from O2 sensors for repairs to the trunk wiring harness' as they pass through the body to the boot lid.
At times I'm rather amazed how much touching of the exhaust it takes to effect the wire itself. You're looking at the outer sheathing.

Properly reroute the O2 wires into the holder tabs around the back of the valve cover.
P.S. Anytime one has the engine fuse carrier open, replace ALL the fuses.
i did replace all the fuses in that box. Thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts