BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Protect Me From What I Want
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can Carbon Fiber be molded with other material?

Does anyone know if Carbon Fiber can be molded with whatever material the M-tek II front bumper is made of? Also is CF stuff paint-able? Is there a special way to have CF painted?

TIA

EDITED

·
needs a new sig...
4,824 Posts
umm welded is for sure the wrong word..fiberglassed is proablly the word you are looking for but i dont think it can be done..but i dont know for sure,,if the cf has a clear coat it can be apited like prepped body panels can be painted

·
Nikkei is a $lut.
1,976 Posts
Carbon fiber products we usually see here are actualy.....Carbon Fiber reinforced plastic....

so there's a layer of plastic surrounding the CF weave...

this means u can paint it normally....

about the welding CF with mtech....i think u mean molding it on to the bumper....

i'm not sure about this....but it might be possible using fiberglass?
i dunno :dunno:

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
welded? no, welding is reserved for metals

adhered to OEM parts? sure, adhesion process will differ depending on the surface its being adhered to... whether it be ABS, fiberglass,metal, wood, etc

CF can be painted

the key is finding the right source to do the job correctly..a bad CF job can look horrible..search the board for evidence of this. Be sure you know what you are getting into

·
Banned
684 Posts
Not many things want to bond to Carbon Fiber for a structurally strong bond except Carbon Fiber using the same epoxy as the part used to cure.

That being said, uou can absolutely use a secondary bonding epoxy to bond carbon fiber to another surface if it's just to "hold it there." A few things to consider though:

- The surfaces to be bonded must be rough

- If the parts will see a lot of heat (i.e. sitting in 100+ weather in AZ), you may have delamination because the plastic underneath is expanding due to the heat, and the CF piece is not expanding (at the same rate). This may cause the part to delaminate.

-The bonding surface must be large.

-Dan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts