BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dont have a garage for my car so i bought an Evolution 4 car cover from Bavarian Autosports. Anyway, I just usually put the car cover on and sometimes wont see my baby for weeks at a time.

My cousin says that leaving the car cover on is bad for the car. Rain gets through, car gets wet and soggy, etc. She said especially if I cover the car while its wet, its very bad.

I disagree. I don't see how car covers can be bad for the car since its protecting it from the elements.

·
Registered
7,635 Posts
The problem is that if you have any debree between the car cover and car (leaves, dust, etc), the wind constantly rubs the cover against the paint, making it somewhat abrasive. If you have a perfectly clean car and cover to begin with, you should be fine. For long periods of time, it is possible for particles to get through the cover fabric?

Moisture will always be under the cover. Don't know if it is a problem or not as far as damaging the finish.

I've had my car for 3 months and cover for 2 months and have only used it once when I was out on vacation. The car was perfectly clean and stored inside a garage (how is that for obsessive). Normally my car sleeps outside 85% of the time. I just wash and wax (zaino Z6) every week.

·
1,117 Posts
i dont know about the car cover being bad, it will leave some marks but they wipe away, its good when the cover breathes well so the air circulates.

but what i notice if it holds too much moisture, YOU WILL start getting bugs and ants moving into you car, especially when you dont move it for a long time. forget the elements BUGS SUCK :tsk:

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I keep my under a cover during the school week. Sometimes, when I come back to my car and pull the cover off, there are spiders living on the car. Yuck.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
sfzBimmer2 said:
I keep my under a cover during the school week. Sometimes, when I come back to my car and pull the cover off, there are spiders living on the car. Yuck.
Eeewww! :D

·
Registered
219 Posts
i heard car covers are bad because the lining of the cover contains metal threads, which could scratch up the car...but i could be wrong..:dunno:

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so what the heck are car covers good for then?!!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I use it mostly because if someone opens their door against mine, there's a greater protection against paint being exchanged, and the padding insulates it from dents.

·
Registered
729 Posts
1 They don't scratch.
2 It's pretty much water resistant unless it's a heavy downpour then water might get thru BUT...
3 They breath, so moisture doesn't get trapped under them.
4 When you put cover on make sure there are no debris on car(leaves mostly, unless it's really dirty in which case you should wash it first otherwise #1 is void)
5 It's great:thumbup: car stays cleaner longer:D

Hope this helps:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts