BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
4,174 Posts
Mercedes wheels lock up? Since when? All you have to do is put the car in neautral and you should be able to tow any car.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
You can tow a Mercedes or a BMW if you have the key in the ignition and the car in neutral. However, it's quite difficult (if not impossible) to tow a BMW or Mercedes without the owner's permission. I know that Mercedes has special tow trucks that lift the cars up onto flatbeds.

·
Just a Brand-wh0re Elitist
3,723 Posts
thats odd, I have seen both Benzes and BMWs being towed away by city tow trucks. I seriously doubt the owners were there to let that happen.

·
Big Baller - Shot Caller
364 Posts
Yes of course they can be towed. There is a tool in your trunk that screws into the bumber.

Benz's can be towed to, as can any other car. But you do want to put your e46 on a flat bed. No way is a tow truck going to be tragging my M3 behind him on a hitch.

·
In Pursuit of My J.D.
2,354 Posts
A flat-bed can tow both the BMW and Mercedes, but I think HellFish is asking about a non-flatbed tow truck. I know that on my Mercedes there was an anti-tow feature that I didn't know how it really worked...there was a button on the dash that allowed the car to be towed; I'm assuming the wheels lock up when parked.

·
Got Mis-shift?
796 Posts
10chi said:
thats odd, I have seen both Benzes and BMWs being towed away by city tow trucks. I seriously doubt the owners were there to let that happen.
Yeah, those city tow trucks have a special towing equipment that they put under the wheels. It basically put the car's wheels on a skate board. I've seen it so many times in sunset blvd.

They lift the car and put the skate board on each rear tire and just lift the front. I've seen them tow benz's and bmw's.

·
Black and Proud
15,911 Posts
just make sure they tow the BMW by the rear wheels ... you don't want some idiot tow truck driver to mess up your drivetrain by towing a RWD car by the front wheels

·
SBBMotorwerks
559 Posts
Well, i had my BMW towed one time. I had locked my keys in the car (it was my only set of keys). My dealership said i had to tow my car to them so they could open it.

So the tow truck lifts my car from the rear and had to make sure my front wheel were locked (not from spinning, but from turning). Once he did that, he towed my car. I was paranoid the whole time.....but nothing went wrong...my car is perfectly fine.

So, yes, it is possible to tow a BMW

·
Registered
163 Posts
My car had a hit and run, and they broke the front links fo the driver side wheel.
the car was lifted form the front and rolled the rear. My car is manual so it was put in neutral. it was only towed for about 5 miles but there wasn't any problem.

·
Pwner
327 Posts
cooh23 said:

Yeah, those city tow trucks have a special towing equipment that they put under the wheels. It basically put the car's wheels on a skate board. I've seen it so many times in sunset blvd.

They lift the car and put the skate board on each rear tire and just lift the front. I've seen them tow benz's and bmw's.
sometimes they don't even do that.. here at duke they're really stingy about parking. this one car apparently had the anti-tow feature and they just tied the chains and pulled it out of the spot onto a flatbed, even though the wheels were skidding on the ground.

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
13,183 Posts
well i will tell you this

found out that the 3 series and the m3 need to be flat beded.
that is why they have the hook on the bumber. that is so the flat bed can pull the 3 series on the flatbed. if you towed the 3 series you will f--k it up don't try it.
bobm3 ;) ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
all they have to do is pickup the rearend with a tow bar that fits on each side of the rear tires and tow it that way (for RWD), if the front wheels are straight the key does not need to be in the ignition or the tranny in neutral. If the front wheels are turned most tow trucks have dolleys they can put under them. Taking your BMW is no problem for an experienced tow truck driver.

BMW recommends flat towing, but if a repo man, etc. is after your car they will take it any way they can.

ps: the hook that screws into the bumper is for pulling you out of the snow bank, ditch, etc. not for towing you down the street

·
Registered
300 Posts
At an appt. place around here they are retarded like that and tow you if you aren't in the right place, but there aren't enough guest spots. Anyways, I have a manual and I always back in, and I use my E-Brake. There is no way they could tow my car right? They don't even use flat beds. But even if they did use flat beds, they still couldn't right?

·
Pwner
327 Posts
AadosX said:
At an appt. place around here they are retarded like that and tow you if you aren't in the right place, but there aren't enough guest spots. Anyways, I have a manual and I always back in, and I use my E-Brake. There is no way they could tow my car right? They don't even use flat beds. But even if they did use flat beds, they still couldn't right?
read my post. they don't care. you cant stop them. theyll just drag your car onto their flatbed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts