E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is a search function, but literally with any forum i can never find anything useful by using the search bar. I know there are good thread out there, just cannot seem to find them.

I need something on welding techniques, or any in depth info on subframe repair.

I really appreciate any help given to me!

My subframe crack is turning into a tear which is causing me to tear up a little :cry:

·
Registered
12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forget the headache of welding, use epoxy. It will be cheaper, easier, faster, cleaner result, less chance of collateral damage, and just as strong if not stronger.
I've read epoxy is not as strong long term. Maybe it is. I have to bust out the welder anyways to mend my frame.
Tire Automotive tire Auto part Automotive wheel system Tread

Sent from my Nexus 6P using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
I've read epoxy is not as strong long term. Maybe it is. I have to bust out the welder anyways to mend my frame.
The ppl stating that are ignorant/without experience and incorrect. They likely have little understanding about chemistry and/or welding and can't imagine anything outside of what they already know.
I've completed this repair with epoxy and was very glad that I took that route.
I can also tell you that you will need to nibble off a small ear of metal from the Turner repair kit since you have an 323/328. There is a small overlap area that will not allow the (driver side) plate to sit flush with the surface.

·
Registered
2005 330i manual transmission performance package
3,972 Posts
The ppl stating that are ignorant/without experience and incorrect. They likely have little understanding about chemistry and/or welding and can't imagine anything outside of what they already know.
I can also tell you that you will need to nibble off a small ear of metal from the Turner repair kit since you have an 323/328. There is a small overlap area that will not allow the (driver side) plate to sit flush with the surface.
This could be true in cases where the structure is still intact, or perhaps even if small cracks are present.
OP will need cutting and welding to fix the mounting blocks and to restore the floor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the heads up... From my logic the best route would be to weld the cracks, make the mating surface smooth and flush and epoxy it. Welding the reinforcement I would imagine can make the surface uneven and put stress in new places unless you do it really really well, where the epoxy would distribute the weight evenly.

What kind of epoxy did you use?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using E46Fanatics mobile app

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.