BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice is appreciated, I'm about to push this car off a cliff!!

After 4 hours of the car sitting, we went to start the car and it would turn over but no start.

Replaced:
Battery
Intake Vacuum hoses
Spark Plugs
Both Cam shaft sensors
Fuel Filter
Fuel Pump

And I still have a car that wont start. When I try to start it I have the CEL, Red battery indicator, Red Oil Light.

I checked the voltage on the battery holding the mileage trip button and it showed 12V when in position 2 and then when trying to start it drops to 9.6-9.9v

Voltage Regulator?

Any thoughts??

·
Hawaii 3.0
5,373 Posts
leave the door open and turn the key to position 2. Do you hear the fuel pump priming?

·
Registered
26,433 Posts
Jump start the car...and then measure voltage. If below mid-13's V, then either alt or VR.

New batts don't always come charged...and you need a good alt and 20 mins. on highway to charge it.

I'm not 100% on the electronics, but if the car starts with a jump, that could indicate that the 'new' battery you got, maybe has the voltage, but not the amps.

Hook up to running car for at least a few mins. while other car revs slightly...and see if you get anywhere with that.

I'm sure you've tried another key...the checking the fuel pump is a good idea too, and please don't take this personally, but not knowing for sure whether you're a moron or not (I don't think so...but you do want to push your car off a cliff, after all! LOL)...are you sure you have gas...and don't trust the gauge, you know...the sending unit fails too, indicating gas when you have none.

Cribs...gas, jump, beer and celebration! Throw whoever told you to replace all that stuff off the cliff (hope it wasn't me!).

Doug

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can hear the fuel pump prime. Car has little over half a tank. Tried to jump start it from under the hood and directly from the battery and still nada.

Does anyone know what size socket I need to remove the VR? I have clear access to it with the intake manifold out and few lines disconnected.

·
May the farts be with you, always
6,806 Posts

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
well you can hear the fuel pump priming, can you hear clicking noise when you turn the key to ignotion? Even if you have bad alternator, car should be able to get enough power from jump start. No clicking noise = dead starter. It's PITA to replace... :(

·
Registered
26,433 Posts
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=801247

happened to me last weekend.. took about 15 minutes to do and its fixed!
Keep forgetting that one! Damn. I actually removed my clutch stop, coz it seemed to work itself up and that prevented the switch from activating...

So, OP...that's one other possibility...and a 5 sec fix if it works...remove your clutch stop...and if you don't know what that is...if you have anything underneath your clutch pedal (if you 'are' a manual), that's more than 1/4" above the floor, then unscrew it...you can get the 'real' thing for down there another day...no biggy.

Have to remember all these details! Although I hope Mach is right...I hope I am more...and if I am...please don't jump off the cliff yourself, thinking you're too stupid to own a bmw. You might be...but it's not worth dying over...and even 'unstards' can enjoy the great handling! LOL

Doug

·
May the farts be with you, always
6,806 Posts
yes I had to bypass mine to start it..

pre 03 models have an actual switch that gets triggered..just some tape over the switch might do the trick...

mine had it on the base of the clutch cylinder..some kind of magnetic pickup ..

·
Registered
26,433 Posts
Don't know, but you might be right...damn again!

OP...I know you tried different key...but don't know if bad key stops the cranking...don't think it does.

Also...what happened in the period before this 'no start.' Any additions to the car...whether you think they're related or not...there are often many odd connections between things in our cars.

Review your work...did you plug everything back in that should've been...cleaned things up with elect. cleaner.

I believe bad mafs have led to no start...have you disconnected maf?

Cliff notes--cliff!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im going to try to remove the clutch stop later tonight. In regards to the starter, I dont think its the starter because I dont hear the clicking noise. THe engine is trying cranking but will not start.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The only thing that was done was battery was replaced. my car is a 2004 330ci, so will that clutch stop removal not work on mine?

·
Registered
26,433 Posts
Im going to try to remove the clutch stop later tonight. In regards to the starter, I dont think its the starter because I dont hear the clicking noise. THe engine is trying cranking but will not start.
What? You have a clutch stop...run out and do it now...I'm feeling good about this.

You can send me all the parts you replaced for no reason...I'm sure I'll need some of them before 300K miles! It's only fair, after all. Well, fair would be you divide them between me and Mach...as he reminded me of clutch stop!

D

·
Registered
26,433 Posts
The only thing that was done was battery was replaced. my car is a 2004 330ci, so will that clutch stop removal not work on mine?
It might...but that guy who said it wouldn't crank might be right...but I don't know...I pulled my stop off after about a month.

Oh, and you did tug up on the battery to make sure it was a solid connection...and clean connections under terminals in hood is something else you can try...

But, some put bat in, tighten cables, but the terminals are too small...so you really don't have a tight connection...and I'm sure that affects the amperage you're getting...from alt and to starter both.

HTH

Doug

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I swear if its one of these simple easy solutions Im going to be pissed / relieved. Thank you for the help

·
Registered
26,433 Posts
There aren't that many more...

From memory, from here...and not experience...

Crankshaft position sensors will cause no start.

Bad ground might have caused the battery not to get charged from the alt...just had that recently...think the ground strap was on pass side of engine...but don't quote me...it was in some bat/alt thread...so search bat/alt/ground strap

Failed maf will, as I said...again...iirc.

Cleaning the contacts under terminals (+ and ground lug) under hood.

But, I'm sure you like simple...and often 'we' go right past them to all the weird things that have caused no starts...or go directly to what the code is 'saying' whether it's saying that because the 'thing' is bad...or 'some' thing upstream is causing the code...or if it's just a code from the historical record, as it were.

Let us know...you've got my interest piqued!

Doug

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Since the CEL light is on, have you read the code? It may give you an indication of the problem.

Since the fuel filter was just replaced, make sure the two fuel lines were connected back correctly.
If you switch the fuel lines on the filter, the car will not get fuel. It will crank but not start.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts