BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
13,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a smgm3 car and i know how it operates and understand how it works. but can someone please explain to me when they say that the smg tranny is a manual transmition only with a comp.
works the clutch for the driver.

but i would like to know is when you are in s mode or stanard mode. let say you are in third gear when you are going to stop.
the tranny shifts down for you to first. so is this a real stanard tranny because i know in a regular stick tranny you would have to come down to neut or first gear by the driver. so what is the deal about the smg tranny is it a pure stanard tranny or what.

or sence the clutch is worked by the comp. does the comp. i guess work the down shifts for you to. just leaving the up shifts for you. that is the question i would like answer. took me two
months to realise that the smg does that for you.
bobm3 :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,823 Posts
I don't know exactly what you are saying but SMG II in the E46 M3 (this is important because not all SMG is like this) is the same Getrag 6 speed that is in the manual with a computer controlled shifter and clutch.

So I hope that answers you question.

Tim

·
Registered
339 Posts
Bob - The car is downshifting for you (even when you are in standard) mode because you are not in the right gear for that speed (ie. your rpms are too low). If you were driving a car with a normal manual is would be "bucking" you to death at that point.

I manually downshift the car all the time... especially to engine brake the car and to match rev...

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
13,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
O that is the reason

timexp99 said:
Bob - The car is downshifting for you (even when you are in standard) mode because you are not in the right gear for that speed (ie. your rpms are too low). If you were driving a car with a normal manual is would be "bucking" you to death at that point.

I manually downshift the car all the time... especially to engine brake the car and to match rev...
thanks alot. when i got the car i was down shifting to then one time i was watching the rpm and i saw it down shifting by it self.
i never new it did that no body never told me. i thought so just
wanted another person to say what i thought. thanks alot for
your reply. so we have it both ways we can do it our selfs or
if we got lazy the comp. will to it for you. i see now thanks again
for your reply. and thanks for not making fun of what i was saying
to.
bob :thumbup: :thumbup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts