BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, first post.

I was curious if anyone has ever done something like this (haven't found anything after days of searching) and was curious if anyone may know what needs to be done if it is possible.

If I'm correct the auto uses the same tranny as the steptronic, so I assume all that would need to be changed is the TCU and the shift column (as well as running some wire).

Car is a 1999 E46 328i, one of the older models that didn't come with the steptronic, just standard automatic.

Thanks

*** Reasoning ***
If people are needing reasons for me wanting to have this done, its for a few;
1. I dont know how to drive manual. (Don't be a butt about it, I am still interested in learning)
2. I still want my parents to be able to drive the thing.
3. I plan on supercharging it far into the future and don't won't to blow the tranny with the auto trying to shift in weird places.
4. I plan on keeping this car for years and still want it to be a good daily driver. (The car has 247k miles, no error codes, no mechanical faults, original engine and transmission)
5. I would really like to keep this car long enough to be able to pass it down. (Keep in mind I'm 17, car has been in family since new)

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
From bimmerfest.com
You need a 2000 or newer cluster, the shifter area plate, the shifter itself and an entire new wiring harness and 3 computers, plus Id have to code all the modules to work together. Not something Id think you would want to tackle. But if you want it bad enough I could make a list of what you would need.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Don't supercharge the car, especially if you're already at 247k miles and want to pass it down. Plus the price is just not worth it, for much less you even could manual swap your car.

Congrats on inheriting an awesome first car!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm thinking for the amount of hassle and cost to do this, you might as well just watch out for a car with steptronic and have 2 cars for about the same price.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm thinking for the amount of hassle and cost to do this, you might as well just watch out for a car with steptronic and have 2 cars for about the same price.
Yeah, that’s true but this car has sentimental value to me and I would prefer to have it on the one I have.

·
Registered
430 Posts
According to member 05SMG, In the 330CI, the steptronic is an manual trans with basically a hydraulic accumulator and servo. You will need to go to a totally different trans.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In my opinion completely not worth it on that car but if you insist best of luck. Supercharging will create a lot of problems especially for the subframe for the early E46s
The subframe has already been reinforced. I made sure and did plenty of research to know that these things could literally fall of the car at any time.

Good tip though. Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
According to member 05SMG, In the 330CI, the steptronic is an manual trans with basically a hydraulic accumulator and servo. You will need to go to a totally different trans.
Could I get a link to where he said this? Thanks

·
Registered
430 Posts
Could I get a link to where he said this? Thanks
Sorry, we were talking in person last week. He has an 05 330Ci. Look up his CP and send him a PM...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts