BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an 01 325ci. I suspect the windshield latches are broken. I push the button and the windows go down. The gear in the center spins but then stops and the button flashes red. I tried pushing the button under the seat and turning the Allen wrench in center and it turns for awhile then stops and nothing. I tried the 5mm hex on the side weather stripping area and it turns for so long and the stops. Still nothing. I noticed when I turn the driver side counter clockwise and I***8217;ll go to the passenger side and go the same then go back to driver side I can turn it more like the passenger side turns back the drivers side. The top is stuck to the windshield. I can get it to budge one bit. Any info would be great.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have the same problem. When I turn the hex, it keeps turning. But the latch wouldn't open at all---no matter how many times I turn it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It does take a few turns to unlatch. I'd say like 20 turns. Keep turning until it doesn't move any more (don't force it though)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I turn the hex in the middle it just turns for awhile then stops. Top doesn't budge. I suspect that the composite pieces are broke from the latch but how can I get it unlocked from the windshield to change or fix. I'm at a loss here.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If your motor gear is stripped, you can open the top from the side weather stripping. There is a you tube video for it. Try searching "Opening a BMW E46 Convertible Top With Broken Latch Motor". It is a 2 1/2 minute video.

If your composite parts is all broken, I don't think there is a way to open your top unless you cut out the metal cover.

Fortunately, I was able to open my top via the weather strip side. I used a 5mm hex long screw and turned the rod and it opened up.

good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you know exactly where to cut? I've been unlucky trying to find a new/used cover for when I do. I read somewhere also that one guy has been successful taking screws out of the cover but I don't see how that's possible. I'd love to talk to him. Lol

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don't know where to cut. But I guess you can approximate where the plastic composite are is (from various videos and pictures) and cut from there. Or you can just make a nice straight big cut on each side and then attache it back together?

good luck.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just changed the gear. Here is a picture to let you know where roughly the composite part is. Hopefully you can cut around there to get to it. The first picture shows the visor relative to the plastic composite (when the latch is unlocked).

By the way, anyone knows what grease to use to lubricate the gears?

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for the help. I cut open the cover and was able to move the bar that the composite part attaches to. I got the top to unlatch and open. The composite part was split in half free from the bar. I bought replacement parts but ended up just aligning the old ones back up and drilled and put bolts thru. I figured replacing with new I'd still half the same problem down the road. With bolts it should fix the problem for good I would think. Long story short I have it put back together and top opens and closes beautifully. I made nice clean cuts with the cover so I'm gonna epoxy it back together from the inside. Shouldn't be that noticeable until I can find a used one from a junk yard. I thank you again.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just changed the gear. Here is a picture to let you know where roughly the composite part is. Hopefully you can cut around there to get to it. The first picture shows the visor relative to the plastic composite (when the latch is unlocked).

By the way, anyone knows what grease to use to lubricate the gears?
I use white lithium grease since it doesn't affect plastic negatively.

Andy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts