BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get into an E46 ASAP... I'm selling my RSX Type S and I'll have $8k to spend. I really want a 2001ish 330Ci MT.... am I being unrealistic? I feel like it's impossible to find one for that price!!! or am I just being impatient?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
really??? maybe you should travel a little. look in the ny classifieds i see them all the time ranging from 6500- 9000 for 01-02 330ci models
Are you talking about craigslist or what? Maybe there just isn't many good BMW's in Florida? lol

·
Registered
611 Posts
Found mine on AutoTrader about 8 months ago, listed for $13k in Orlando,FL. Ended up driving away in it at $9. Had 65k miles on it. $8k might get yoi a decent one but might also have quite a bit of mileage too

·
Registered
249 Posts
Decent, perhaps, money pit, more likely. Just be aware that for 8-grand you're going to be limited to pre-facelift models, with high mileage, and with all of the gremlins that those cars can come equipped. If you're hunting for a 330 then that means even higher mileage or poorer condition to bring it down to 8 grand. If you're interested in a coupe, then at that price point you're really talking 323Ci/325Ci/328Ci territory with the occasional high mileage '01 or '02 330Ci thrown in for good measure.

I know because I've been shopping them myself for the past week ever since I traded my E46. In good condition, these cars still carry a five-figure price tag which is a testament to their quality and the demand for them.

Good luck and let us know how your search turns out!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Condition plays a huge roll in the price of these vehicles. You can have two same model years, same packages, same miles, and the price will be 3-4k different due to the condition.

Also, they seem to be hard to come by in florida with a manual transmission for some reason. I searched for mine off and on for about a year (searching daily the final month) before finally finding "the one", and FWIW I paid 10k for mine OTD.

With patience, or willing to hop on a plane, i'd say it is realistic to find one for 8k, just gotta get lucky. The Ci's seemed to demand slightly less money when I was looking, which I also found to be odd, but will play in your favor.

Good luck!

·
Registered
200 Posts
$8k can get you a lot. I got mine last month: $4900, single owner. no rust.

There are deals out there if you are patient.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just picked up my 02'XI for $8K.
Granted it's not a coupe!
But I found the prices around Illanois to be $1500 less on average that around the Seattle area.
I opted for the $8000 Seattle car over the identical car for $6700 half way across the states

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just picked up my 02'XI for $8K.
Granted it's not a coupe!
But I found the prices around Illanois to be $1500 less on average that around the Seattle area.
I opted for the $8000 Seattle car over the identical car for $6700 half way across the states

·
Registered
200 Posts
less than half that, thank you! I'm not saying it was mint, it did need a few small things that I you would have to do to any used e46

(edit: wtf? why is your sn starred out?)

All you pansies are scared of high miles. Oh noes my bmw must have <80k or its worthless! Of course I do all my own work, but still...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Try to be patient!! Thats the single most important thing when buying a car, its easy to give up and go with the first one u see, i waited almost two months with no car and rides before i landed my 03 330i m edition with 80k for 6500. Be patient and shop smart, not with your eyes/heart, go with your gut.... and be sure its what you want.... pm me if you want tips, both my parents have been in the car biz for over 3 decades each and same for 3 generations on each side.... ironically im not a skuzzball, its about as rare as two very black people havin a white assed baby.

·
Registered
611 Posts
oh ok...and IDK its weird, bc you can clearly see what it says to the left of the screen, but yet they Bleep it out if I post something....It is really weird i do agree...Well you got a great deal then bro. Just not a sedan fan lol

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
$8000 can buy a ok e46 no doubts. But chances are, right after you buy it, you gonna have to put at least $1000 into it.
Could be cooling system, fluid changes, brakes, etc. All these add up to $1000 or more easily.
So this puts your budget for the car to $7000 or $6500 to be safe. Then it is only a matter of luck to pick a decent one out of all the high mileage ones in the market. If you don't mind some rust spots here and there that is.
$8000 is too low my friend, have at least $10000. This is from my personal experience after buying this car for about 6 month so far.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts