BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if a 330xi can beat a WRX???

just say stock to stock....any idea???
auto to auto !!
or stick to stick!!

·
Registered
404 Posts
caranddriver.com they have the 1/4 times up.

·
BMW Land Barge
1,376 Posts
A very well driven manual WRX will take a 330xi off the line. But too much of that will break the TRANSMISSION.

Thanks largely to extraordinarily poor gearing, a 330 (maybe even a 325) will take the WRX at speed.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
A very well driven manual WRX will take a 330xi off the line. But too much of that will break the TRANSMISSION.

Thanks largely to extraordinarily poor gearing, a 330 (maybe even a 325) will take the WRX at speed.
What is "extraordinarily poor gearing"!?

Gearing can be optimized for bottom-end, top-end, or in-between. Subaru simply geared the WRX for quick launches off the line. Naturally it would become a disadvantage at the top.

·
BMW Land Barge
1,376 Posts
Jspeed said:

What is "extraordinarily poor gearing"!?

Gearing can be optimized for bottom-end, top-end, or in-between. Subaru simply geared the WRX for quick launches off the line. Naturally it would become a disadvantage at the top.
You've obviously never driven one, at least not a US market one.

Subaru geared the car for low revving highway driving. It's poorly geared for a launch, poorly geared for acceleration... It's just plain poorly set up in that department. It launches HARD because it has a REALLY strong OE clutch. First gear is way too tall, then you shift to second, which drops you out of the boost range.

The car is just not geared right, every gear needs to be about 15-20% shorter. (Were you aware that the car has a DOUBLE overdrive?)

·
Registered
296 Posts
WRx's have 5 gears......except STi's. They're geared short. Also I wouldn't call any of the gears a true overdrive.

But no, I don't think a 330xi will take a WRX, just be comfortablein the fact that you ARE more comfortable then them. The WRX is all about the driver, its not a luxury car by any means. That said my next car will be an STi :thumbup:

·
BMW Land Barge
1,376 Posts
0.972:1 and 0.738:1 is not overdrive? :dunno:

I make NO comment about the STi, it's a completely different and utterly awesome beast. But after a few thousand miles in a WRX, I can honestly say from experience that it's geared BADLY. I assume (although I haven't checked) that when Subaru changed the ratios for the US market (to increase fuel efficiency and decrease highway revs), they left the same transmission in, and just installed a taller final drive. The problem is that the car is NOT GEARED to work well with such a tall final drive. The engine's torque curve is just plain incompatible.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Well everyone I've driven is pushing it at 90 which is not what I'd call overdrive. What you're saying is that both gear 4 and 5 are overdrive on the WRX? I mean I won't dispute the number cause i'm too lazy to look em up and they're probably right anyways but it doesn't match my driving impressions.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
You've obviously never driven one, at least not a US market one.

Subaru geared the car for low revving highway driving. It's poorly geared for a launch, poorly geared for acceleration... It's just plain poorly set up in that department. It launches HARD because it has a REALLY strong OE clutch. First gear is way too tall, then you shift to second, which drops you out of the boost range.

The car is just not geared right, every gear needs to be about 15-20% shorter. (Were you aware that the car has a DOUBLE overdrive?)
So what if the two top gears are overdrive!? It's the overall ratio that matters. They are:

13.46, 7.61, 5.34, 3.78, 2.89

The 330i's overall ratios are:

12.34, 7.3, 4.86, 3.63, 2.93

Except for the top gear the WRX has 5-10% shorter gearing than the 330i. The 330xi's final drive is about 5% shorter than the i's so that makes the WRX's gearing 0-5% shorter than the 330xi.

BTW I drove two Canadian WRX's before, and I don't think they're differently geared from the American models.

·
P.I.M.P.
2,470 Posts
True dat, the differential is a big factor....im sure they have a very low diff to offset the crappy gear ratios.
But still, they do not pull too well on the highway from my expirience. I have raced a couple from 60-120before, and was clearly the winner. One guy I raced totally kept up with me, but i think he had mods(I could see exhaust, guessing intake, and midpipe etc). From a stop, if the driver does not bog their engine on the launch, they are pretty fast out of the hole.

·
BMW Land Barge
1,376 Posts
Jspeed said:

So what if the two top gears are overdrive!? It's the overall ratio that matters. They are:

13.46, 7.61, 5.34, 3.78, 2.89

The 330i's overall ratios are:

12.34, 7.3, 4.86, 3.63, 2.93

Except for the top gear the WRX has 5-10% shorter gearing than the 330i. The 330xi's final drive is about 5% shorter than the i's so that makes the WRX's gearing 0-5% shorter than the 330xi.

BTW I drove two Canadian WRX's before, and I don't think they're differently geared from the American models.
OK, still, who cares how the gear ratios compare? Have you looked at the difference between the two car's dyno charts? The fact of the matter is that the gear separation forces you out of boost for extended periods of time. And the 330i is geared way too tall for that matter, but the problem is not nearly as egregious as it is with the WRX. And if you haven't spent serious time in the WRX, you probably haven't had time to notice the deficiencies in its power band. The first few times I drove it, it seemed stupefyingly fast. After I drove it a few more times, the torque curve got really annoying.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts