BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my upper chain tensioner + guide replaced, and immediately after this was done, the car is sluggish and throwing the following codes (Peak description):

- Intake camshaft VANOS, over-advanced or system perf.
- Exhaust camshaft VANOS, over-advanced or system perf.
- Exhaust camshaft VANOS, over-retarded

E46 325i, M54

Question is, can these problems be attributed to an oversight by the mechanic when the tensioner was changed and how? If not, any ideas (CPS)?

Thanks for any input!

·
Banned
2,209 Posts
Yes the poster beneath you said it best. your timing is off and the mechanic needs the proper tools. there is no way around this.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Why did the timing chain tensioner need to be repaired, just curious...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why did the timing chain tensioner need to be repaired, just curious...
There was this persistent rhythmic scratching kind of noise - was isolated coming from where the tensioner is... Since replacing, the noise is gone.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
There was this persistent rhythmic scratching kind of noise - was isolated coming from where the tensioner is... Since replacing, the noise is gone.
Thanks, I've just never heard of that tensioner ever being replaced...

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just purchased the part for my '05 330i. I think i got a decent price for the part ($49) My mechanic(a person who knows an e46 like nobody else) however asked for $500 to replace it and redo all the timing and everything. What are my options if i do not get this replaced. I can probably get a better price somewhere else but i have no guarantee they will get the job done right.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
To replace the tensioner, the valve cover has to come off...gasket replaced, etc. Takes about 3 hrs I'd guess. Why are you replacing your tensioner (if you don't do it, what options are talking about)? It's a pretty rare replacement part. If you replace the tensioner, might as well replace the guide too.

By the way, the timing fault codes I had was due to the cam sensor not being reconnected properly.

·
Registered
87 Posts
To replace the tensioner, the valve cover has to come off...gasket replaced, etc. Takes about 3 hrs I'd guess. Why are you replacing your tensioner (if you don't do it, what options are talking about)? It's a pretty rare replacement part. If you replace the tensioner, might as well replace the guide too.

By the way, the timing fault codes I had was due to the cam sensor not being reconnected properly.
i was told to also get the guide if i am getting the tensioner. here is a video on youtube that i took that sums all of this up http://youtu.be/739nqirtor0

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't hear anything from your video, but if you hear the noise from inside your car, it's definitely not chain noise from a tensioner. Again, tensioner failure/issues are super rare for these engines.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Is it me, or have there been more timing chain questions on here in the past month than ever before? Are people just getting bored and deciding to screw around with something that never seems to go wrong?
This is not directed at you OP - but I can't remember seeing so many timing chain questions as I have in the last month. And I have been lurking on this site for years.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I totally agree. Seems people aren't seeking out the typical culprits for noises. I'm probably 1/100000+? who actually had a tensioner issue.

This type of fishing is going to get worse as these vehicles get older and fall into the hands of people who can't afford to properly maintain them.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I totally agree. Seems people aren't seeking out the typical culprits for noises. I'm probably 1/100000+? who actually had a tensioner issue.

This type of fishing is going to get worse as these vehicles get older and fall into the hands of people who can't afford to properly maintain them.
@Morra - thanks for backing me up on that. The timing chain is super durable, and will most likely outlive most engines. I have been suprised at how many times it has been mentioned lately. You dodged a bullet with yours, and it was a simple fix. If you had it to do over again, would you mess with it? Was your tensioner shot, and were the guides obviously worn? Did you have any other issues, other than noise? I am just curious. I don't have any noises or anything. You are just the first person I have heard of that had an actual issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts