BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having issues with my intake camshaft positioning sensor which i assume is camshaft sensor A. A few months back my check engine light came on and it was the camshaft sensor. i had it replaced with an aftermarket sensor. 3 weeks after i replaced the sensor the check engine light appeared again and it was the sensor. after reading about aftermarket sensors i order the OEM sensor and replaced the sensor not too long ago. once i replaced the sensor the check engine light disappeared. now once again 3 weeks after i replaced the sensor i have the same code appearing on the check engine light. anyone have any ideas what can be causing this? it appears to get worse over time as i drive the car as well...meaning i start to stall out more the more i drive the car with the light on. in addition i also have a O2 heater sensor code showing up which comes and goes for the past 6 years i have had the car. thank you.

·
Registered
491 Posts
^^What doug said, are you sure the intake side is the one that needs replacing?

also, if your vanos is out of time it will keep throwing this code over and over and over, no matter how many times you replace the sensor (ask me how i know :facepalm: ) so it may be time to look into this as well.

·
Registered
26,274 Posts
Oh, and O2 sensor intermittently for 6 years? Maybe search regionals for a good mech with expensive scanner that gets bmw codes...there are some that aren't bmw dealers, fyi. There are lots of parts you could replace, but I think you should inspect your intake/vac lines for a leak...bad mixture can trigger O2, but it's not really an 02 problem...it's unmetered air upsetting mixture...or it could be O2 sensor too!

Also, maybe a nice e46 seminar for learning many basics in one fell swoop...search me and seminar.

Doug

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well i am going by the code reader that keeps telling me camshaft sensor "A" which is the intake. Unless for some reason the code is reading wrong.

How do you fix a vanos that is out of time?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Strange thing. I had the service engine codes read at an autobody shop afterwards i had him clear the codes. I have driven 500 miles since and the light still has not come back on and the car hasnt stalled out. what are the chances the code was a glitch?

·
Registered
26,274 Posts
Strange thing. I had the service engine codes read at an autobody shop afterwards i had him clear the codes. I have driven 500 miles since and the light still has not come back on and the car hasnt stalled out. what are the chances the code was a glitch?
The chances are good, but not 100% that your issue isn't still going on in the background.

Keep your eyes on things anyway for a while...keep looking with good flashlight, and you might get codes read again...they all won't display a cel, but might still be there...use your Peake tool if you have one (you're welcome, Ken!), or get to garage for them to scan again.

Doug

1 - 9 of 9 Posts