BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recieved a P0369 Code, and I found out that the Camshaft Position Sensor B code is for the exhaust side. I purchased a replacement CPS and now am having trouble finding a DIY with pics. I know it is probably an easy install, well at least easier than the Intake. Does anyone have any insight or pictures to help me? I would really appreciate it. Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
subscribe...

·
Registered
31 Posts
The exhaust side is very easy. It is a black sensor located on the front of the engine, toward the passenger side. Disconnect the wiring harness, and remove the single mounting bolt. It is located right next to the VANOS control unit (gray cylinder).

·
Registered
2 Posts
BMW 323i

Thanks Gir and Dellop. My g/f has a BMW 323i (2000) that is giving error code P1397. That turns out to be a Camshaft Position Sensor, Circuit B (exhaust side). Hopefully I'll be able to use your advice successfully :bow:

·
Registered
450 Posts
any good places to buy? i'm searching around, but i'm sure someone already did the dirty work and found the best deal.. or is it one of those things that you have to go to the stealership?

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
the exhaust camshaft sensor is attached with 1 torx head screw. make sure you have the right size torx bit before you attempt to remove this screw. otherwise, it will be very easy to strip this screw, which is what happened to me, and you'll then have a helluva time trying to get that screw off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Go to autozone. I ordered the aftermarket exhaust camshaft position sensor for $35 and it will be here tommorow. 1 day! Couldn't find one for less than $100 on the 'net.

·
Registered
24 Posts
EDawg said:
the exhaust camshaft sensor is attached with 1 torx head screw. make sure you have the right size torx bit before you attempt to remove this screw. otherwise, it will be very easy to strip this screw, which is what happened to me, and you'll then have a helluva time trying to get that screw off.
I've got a 2000 328Ci which had to have the sensor replaced about 2 years ago.
What held it in place was a 5mm hex (Allen) head screw, not a Torx. I would try the Allen head first to see if you get a good fit. Also, I bought the sensor (12141438082) from Bavarian Autosport for $96, plus the O-ring (12141748398) for $1.50. There may be a newer part # for the sensor though, not sure.
Lastly, the connector is a bit tricky to remove the first time. You just have to be persistant.

·
Registered
60 Posts
exhause camshaft sensor

I went out there to try to replace the exhaust sensor but there is hardly any room to work. For those who have done it, what did you end up having to move to clear space. Or did you not have to clear any space...

My other question is, can you give a picture of where the intake camshaft sensor is. I can't locate it. A picture like the one attached to this thread would be super.

Thanks a whole lot.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
aznballer24 said:
I went out there to try to replace the exhaust sensor but there is hardly any room to work. For those who have done it, what did you end up having to move to clear space. Or did you not have to clear any space...

My other question is, can you give a picture of where the intake camshaft sensor is. I can't locate it. A picture like the one attached to this thread would be super.

Thanks a whole lot.
SEARCH This has all be discussed before with pictures. The intake sensor is on the intake side of the head under the vanos solenoid which is visible in the upper right hand corner of the picture in this thread. Solenoid must be removed to gain access.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a private message received from 'AIRCER' on this, I can forward it to you if you need it. Let me know. I haven't done it myself yet, but he has so much info in the message. Btw, can I ask you howmuch the part was ?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have a private message received from 'AIRCER' on this, I can forward it to you if you need it. Let me know. I haven't done it myself yet, but he has so much info in the message. Btw, can I ask you howmuch the part was ?
sdewage... can you forward that message to me? THANKS!

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Do not buy the after market sensor we have ahd major probelms with the aftermarket one causing odd faults and reading I onl;y order OEM now to put on at our shop!!

·
Rolling on Dubs. Got Boost?
4,639 Posts
Thanks for the info... Im having a fault code too and have to check into this.

·
Registered
67 Posts
When you have problems with the cam sensors, I would recommend you try to fix it ASAP. It probably will not harm your engine, but why risk it.

Also for the guy asking what to move, nothing. Get a ratchet and a 5mm hex, pull old one out and replace both sensor and O-ring. It can be done, trust me. And as long as you have an M54, or same engine as each other the part should be the same.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Is the bolt that I have to remove to get the sensor out just above and to the left of the black sensor in your picture? This appears to be a bolt that can be removed with a metric ratchet. What is the 5 mm hex for?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts