E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a way to transport my camera safely without being too bulky. I think a backpack is right for me since I would like to bring it hiking and mountain biking. When I take it in my car, I can always just throw it in the passenger seat.

Right now I only have a D7k with 18-200 lens, but I would like room for one more lens and maybe a flash or something for the future.

Here are my main concerns:

-ergonomics/size: I don't want something too bulky. I don't need much more space than the camera takes up. I think a big ass backpack will be more of a hassle than anything, so something like a camelbak size would be perfect. Also ergonomics like comfort and accessibility are important.

-rigidity: I would like the compartment the camera goes into to be somewhat rigid to prevent damage from crushing. I don't plan on it, but if I were to crash my bike, or lean my back up against something, I don't want everything to squish down and crush the camera.

So, what do you guys use, and do you have any input for me? I have been looking at the Lowepro Flipside 200 and Fastpack 100 so far, and am leaning more toward the Fastpack. I haven't looked at any other brands.

http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Fastpack-100-Black/dp/B000YIYNOW

http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Flips...2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1301630412&sr=1-2

:hi:

·
Registered
0 Posts

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I would go with Lowepro cause of the weatherproofing, plus some of them have a rain cover. idk which one. I know when I trek in the summer, I use my Timbuk2 bag only cause I have 1-2 lenses in the bag. But like last summer I got got stuck in a severe tornado watch or something and the weather proofing worked. Well along with a big trash bag.

Check this site out www.cambags.com they have a lot of reviews. And check youtube for reviews too

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Using the incase dslr sling here. I share the same sentiment, I don't want to carry around a huge bag. Something small-medium size that can hold my camera, a second lens, flash and some extras. I know lowepro is teh awesome but this bag is worth taking a look at.

http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/sling-pack-cl58032

http://gear.benjacobsenphoto.com/20...incase-dslr-sling-and-lowepro-classified-220/

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=783530
I like the incase one you linked, but I'm pretty set on a backpack style one. I think it will be more symmetric and secure during activities.

I would go with Lowepro cause of the weatherproofing, plus some of them have a rain cover. idk which one. I know when I trek in the summer, I use my Timbuk2 bag only cause I have 1-2 lenses in the bag. But like last summer I got got stuck in a severe tornado watch or something and the weather proofing worked. Well along with a big trash bag.

Check this site out www.cambags.com they have a lot of reviews. And check youtube for reviews too
Sweet I will check out the site. Thanks for the info.

i got the flipside and love it.everything that i need fits and is well protected.
I'm actually leaning more towards the flipside now actually. It's a little more expensive but smaller and better I think.

Is it a hassle to get the camera out because of the way it unzips and how the camera is upside down?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Look into Dakine photopacks, I have the "Sequence" model and I absolutely love it! It holds my 500D w/ 24-105 mounted, two 430ex II strobe units, one 18-55mm kit lens, a Sigma 10mm fisheye lens, and multiple accessories (including tripod) with plenty of room to spare. It also has a hide-away rain cover to pull over the entire pack in case it starts raining. I like them better than Lowepro because they look like a normal backpack which gives me peace of mind when walking around public places or in the city. Chances are if someone sees you walking around with a Lowepro bag, they're going to assume you have some expensive/nice gear inside which may give them the idea to try and steal it. Anyway, that's just my $.02

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of slings, but they are great if you actually need to access the contents of the bag without having to take it off. Backpacks are a pain in that respect.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Look into Dakine photopacks, I have the "Sequence" model and I absolutely love it! It holds my 500D w/ 24-105 mounted, two 430ex II strobe units, one 18-55mm kit lens, a Sigma 10mm fisheye lens, and multiple accessories (including tripod) with plenty of room to spare. It also has a hide-away rain cover to pull over the entire pack in case it starts raining. I like them better than Lowepro because they look like a normal backpack which gives me peace of mind when walking around public places or in the city. Chances are if someone sees you walking around with a Lowepro bag, they're going to assume you have some expensive/nice gear inside which may give them the idea to try and steal it. Anyway, that's just my $.02
They don't look bad at all. Too bad they don't make a smaller model...

I'm not a huge fan of slings, but they are great if you actually need to access the contents of the bag without having to take it off. Backpacks are a pain in that respect.
Quick access really isn't an issue for me, so there goes one of the sling benefits.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Burton camera bags are really well built, carry everything you could possibly need and are pretty comfortable also not too harsh on the wallet. The Lowepro Flipside is another great simple just the essential carrying bag, had on till i needed to graduate to a bigger bag (Burton Resolution), my brother also has a Burton F Stop and loves it. Oh and you can grab em on Tactics.com, reasonably priced, no tax and free shipping.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I like the incase one you linked, but I'm pretty set on a backpack style one. I think it will be more symmetric and secure during activities.

Sweet I will check out the site. Thanks for the info.

I'm actually leaning more towards the flipside now actually. It's a little more expensive but smaller and better I think.

Is it a hassle to get the camera out because of the way it unzips and how the camera is upside down?
it's not a hassle at all. you won't regret getting it. :thumbsup:

·
SensFan
275 Posts
I have the Lowepro CompuTrekker that I carry ALL my gear in for trips etc and then I also have the Crumpler MDH that I use to throw in the body with a few lenses and the flash. Great combo!!

Would highly recommend the Crumpler series! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
this is the bag i have:

lowepro fastpack 250...it is on the bigger side but my gear def feels safe and it can hold a good amount of stuff. its comfortable to wear as well

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Went to a camera store today in town. She was really trying to sell me a slingshot, but I'm pretty stuck on the backpack thing. They had a Fastpack 100. That thing is small! I didn't really like it too much.

Think I'm gonna order a Flipside 200.

·
Yes...I do think I hate you
1,645 Posts
I want a new bag too, I only have a Canon Labeled one that I bought at the same time as I got my camera. Want something more low-profile.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I went with the amazon basics backpack and it is AMAZING! And cheap too! Sturdy build with tons of room for all of my gear.

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...E1WK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301967521&sr=8-1

is this bag weather/water proof?

Honestly I wouldn't put my gear inside a bag unless there is some coverage from the elements. Some nylon bags aren't water proof, or don't have some type of lining inside to protect from the elements.

@Fisch Look at the link I posted above. Lowepro, ThinkTank and ??? are some of your more popular bags. They are geared towards photographers. You have tons of options/compartments.

The more lower profile ones that are good are Crumpler, Tenba, and Timbuk2 SNoop bag. It all depends on how you want to carry it and how much you are willing to spend. In my search, you can find on adorama.com site ... they will have a sale running on certain bags.

·
Registered
0 Posts
to the op have you looked at the kata bags?

http://www.amazon.com/Kata-KT-D-3N1...3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1301979561&sr=1-3

Using the incase dslr sling here. I share the same sentiment, I don't want to carry around a huge bag. Something small-medium size that can hold my camera, a second lens, flash and some extras. I know lowepro is teh awesome but this bag is worth taking a look at.
@ neil1138 how do you like the incase sling? coughed up 2 bills for the incase ari marcopolous bag and waiting patiently for it :banghead:

I want a new bag too, I only have a Canon Labeled one that I bought at the same time as I got my camera. Want something more low-profile.
@ fisch330ci look at the domke bags, bit spendy for a canvas bag but they last forever.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I went with the Lowepro Flipside 200. It fits me great and is very well built... nice and small. I still may change up the divider configuration, but I think this works, with extra space since I don't have much gear.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts