BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get into the photography game. Seems like a great hobby. I've seen some pictures posted that gets me to wonder what kind of pictures can i take. My question is what is good 1st camera?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Point and Shoot are really cheap now but there isn't much you can control. I say jump in with a Canon XTi. I haven't checked prices but they should be no more than $800. And if you don't like it, sell it! If you do, you can build on it(lenses). Have fun!

·
Registered
729 Posts
I'd get a Nikon D40. Its a great starter-DSLR that wont over complicate things for you like a D80 might. You should be able to pick a nice used one up for around the same price of a nice point n shoot, but you have way more control over the pictures you take.

·
Registered
155 Posts
if you don't have a point-and-shoot, start with that. even if you get more serious later, everyone needs a p&s.

·
Registered
166 Posts
^^ Agreed on the D40. You can pick them up for <$400. Great camera, and an excellent way to get started. The kit lens (18-55) is really pretty good, as long as you have enough light.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Point and Shoot are really cheap now but there isn't much you can control. I say jump in with a Canon XTi. I haven't checked prices but they should be no more than $800. And if you don't like it, sell it! If you do, you can build on it(lenses). Have fun!
eh, IMO you shouldn't worry about how much you can control. if anything, not having to worry about exposure and such is a good thing

·
Registered
721 Posts
eh, IMO you shouldn't worry about how much you can control. if anything, not having to worry about exposure and such is a good thing
No need to worry about exposure, but it's nice to have control over the aperture/depth of field.

·
Registered
740 Posts
An SLR's has the same if not more auto modes than a P&S, That's what great about it, you can shoot full auto and as you develop your skill level,you start using the semi or full manual modes.

·
Registered
534 Posts
if you don't have a point-and-shoot, start with that. even if you get more serious later, everyone needs a p&s.
Ditto, I started with a DSLR and have finally purchased a micro P&S so i don't have to lug my gear while... mountain biking, snowboarding, rafting, ect...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i actually have a p&s. i wanted venture out into the world of DSLR cameras. I actually looking into picking up a D40.

·
Registered
826 Posts
If you're looking for a P&S, check out the Canon G9. Full-auto and full manual control, RAW, etc..
big werd, I have been playing around with one for a week now. Most people think in order to get good results they need a dSLR , the G9 does nearly everything an entry level SLR can do and theres no hassle of lens changing etc. Not to mention they are a hell of a lot smaller.

To get the same results focal length wise you would need to buy a macro lens ( lets call that $400) a telephoto lens ( again maybe around $400-$500) an upgraded kit lens (aperture is usually only 3.5 @ its lowest for the kit lens, so for a f/2.8 lens you are looking at at least $700) ... its just plain silly!

From now on I'm only using my dSLR for paid stuff/studio work etc. my G9 will live in my purse.

ok ill step off the soapbox now

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I debated long and hard about a DSLR. I talked to a few photographers and ended up with the Canon G9.

I had owned the S60,S70, and S80.

The G9 is like the 335i. It is an outstanding overall camera.

Point and shoot to start, but a ton of manual control also.

It is much smaller than a DSLR but is larger than a normal pocket camera.

I love it!

:thumbsup:

here is pic I took before even reading the manual...

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Question on the Canon G9?? Does it shoot f/2.8 throughout or only at certain mm ?

@Bomex330cci the D40 is good camera to start with. You can find Simga lens to work with it. Its an option for some, because some of the Nikon won't autofocus with this camera. You would have to manually focus. IDK your budget but there are a few threads here on which lens to get.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
big werd, I have been playing around with one for a week now. Most people think in order to get good results they need a dSLR , the G9 does nearly everything an entry level SLR can do and theres no hassle of lens changing etc. Not to mention they are a hell of a lot smaller.

To get the same results focal length wise you would need to buy a macro lens ( lets call that $400) a telephoto lens ( again maybe around $400-$500) an upgraded kit lens (aperture is usually only 3.5 @ its lowest for the kit lens, so for a f/2.8 lens you are looking at at least $700) ... its just plain silly!

From now on I'm only using my dSLR for paid stuff/studio work etc. my G9 will live in my purse.

ok ill step off the soapbox now
I recommended it to some friends going on safari in Africa. They had a $2000 camera budget so I suggested a moderately priced Canon DSLR with a long zoom along with a D9. That way they'd be covered and they could both shoot. Worked out great for them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts