BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On another thread re: VCGs, folks were posting their cam shafts and someone made a comment on mine. They said that the scratch or scoring on the exhaust cam shaft was indicative of running low on oil. This has me concerned. Does anyone know why this scratch/scoring is here and what it means? It does not appear to be normal. It looks like metal is missing. I'm afraid to hear what a nightmare this might be, but break it to me, anyway. :bawling:

Second lobe section from left:

·
Registered
660 Posts
Are you talking about that large gauge on the 2nd section from the left? Whoever made that comment has no clue. That's a factory balance mark. That section of the cam rotates in air, it does not come into contact with anything. Relax, go out, have a beer for god sakes.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I had a car that had that problem. It was a 1980 celical and I changed the cam and it lasted for years. Your problem (if you have one I can't see the picture until I get home from work) probably is from low oil or bad oil and or oil starvation. The next thing to go is the rod bearings. You might want to take a look at those also. If they look good change the cams and lifters (I don't know if that is what BMW calls them).

·
Registered
660 Posts
When you see the picture you'll realize he has no problem.

I had a car that had that problem. It was a 1980 celical and I changed the cam and it lasted for years. Your problem (if you have one I can't see the picture until I get home from work) probably is from low oil or bad oil and or oil starvation. The next thing to go is the rod bearings. You might want to take a look at those also. If they look good change the cams and lifters (I don't know if that is what BMW calls them).

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you talking about that large gauge on the 2nd section from the left? Whoever made that comment has no clue. That's a factory balance mark. That section of the cam rotates in air, it does not come into contact with anything. Relax, go out, have a beer for god sakes.
THANKS! :bow::thanks:

I saw this (as its quite apparent) when I opened the engine awhile back. It looked like something done at the factory and thought nothing of it. I've seen it elsewhere and figured it was normal, but had no idea why it was like that. The balancing mark makes much sense. :thumbup:

When someone commented it was due to low oil, I began second guessing myself (Im no mechanic - just a novice DIYer) and thought I was really up chits creek. I feel MUCH better now. Boy, this really got me worried! :eeps:

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
very clean, nice :thumbsup: what oil do you use and how often do you change it?
Thanks!

Well, I thought the dealer was using Castrol 5W30 under warranty, but it turns out they used Mobil1 5W30 all along. Out of warranty and beginning at 45K, Ive been using the BMW Castrol 5W30.

My oil schedule was done every 7-8K or so, and the last two changes were "annuals," as the car only put on 2,400/yr for the last 2 yrs.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Thanks!

Well, I thought the dealer was using Castrol 5W30 under warranty, but it turns out they used Mobil1 5W30 all along. Out of warranty and beginning at 45K, Ive been using the BMW Castrol 5W30.

My oil schedule was done every 7-8K or so, and the last two changes were "annuals," as the car only put on 2,400/yr for the last 2 yrs.
awesome :thumbsup:

·
Registered
820 Posts
M1 5W30 doesn't meet spec for operating viscosity or HTHS.
This is true, but M1 is still an exceptional oil and don't believe you will every hear of any one with issues due to using M1 5w30. But technically if you want to use M1 use the 0w40 weight which is BMW LL1 certified.

The BMW 5w30 is formulated to be a bit on the heavy side to meet the BMW LL1 requirement, thus the reason M1 0w40 is the better match.

I use BMW oil becasue with my CCA Club discount, turns out the be the least expensive oil I can get that is certified for use in the car.

·
Registered
660 Posts
This is true, but M1 is still an exceptional oil and don't believe you will every hear of any one with issues due to using M1 5w30. But technically if you want to use M1 use the 0w40 weight which is BMW LL1 certified.

The BMW 5w30 is formulated to be a bit on the heavy side to meet the BMW LL1 requirement, thus the reason M1 0w40 is the better match.

I use BMW oil becasue with my CCA Club discount, turns out the be the least expensive oil I can get that is certified for use in the car.
You have no idea what you are about to start.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts