E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
Just in the process of buying a 2003 316i SE Touring with 65000 miles on the clock and was wondering if it is due a cam belt change or is it fitted with a chain. Also, what should I look for, listen too when viewing the car (tomorrow evening).
Sorry if this thread has been placed on here before.
Regards, Bash

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
'03 should have a chain...if you're not sure about the car..bring someone who knows.

·
Registered
360 Posts
i just looked up your model on realoem.com, and it is a chain.

I am not familiar with the new 4 cylinder engines, so I can't tell you about any particular issues with these. As with all used cars, always check the hoses and belts for cracking and brittleness. I would also take a look at the pulleys while the engine is on to make sure that there isn't any wobbling or indication that a pulley/bearing is going bad with one of the accessories. Of course, listen for various "odd" ticking or screeching noises that may indicate some sort of problem. Also, make sure that you listen to the vehicle during test drive with both windows up and windows down. Sometimes there are sounds of bad/worn busings, etc. that are more evident while the windows are down.

I always used to take my cars to an independent mechanic, who I know is familiar with the vehicle I am purchasing, to inspect it. This is only if the used vehicle isn't CPO from dealer with a warranty. This used to cost around $100 where I'm at, but I think that it's a good investment to make sure you don't purchase a vehicle with tons of work needed right off the bat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
many thanks.........

Thanks for your time and effort in replying to my question. Happy the car is fitted with a chain and will enjoy looking at it later today. Will keep you updated!

·
Registered
938 Posts
Xelo is correct. I own a 1991 e36 318i & it has the m40 engine with the cam belt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts