E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
AREA 51
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok,

so i got my wife's golf 2 new front tires AND an alignment today

driving away we noticed that the car obviously drives better but as the car is turned to the right it makes a noise...like a mini version of driving over those rivets in the highway to keep you awake (you know what i mean?). when the car is turned to the left or going straight there is no noise.

my thinking...

the tire (left one) needs to break in or something

OR

not a good alignment done

:dunno:

...any other thoughts?

i called the guy and he said give it a few days and then bring it in if it continues to do this

·
Registered
942 Posts
Mini-version of the highway bumps or full version........either way it sounds pretty major and could possibly be dangerous to drive. The shop should have told you to bring the car back in immediately! For lack of description, and seeming the noise/thump only came with the new tires......it sounds like you have a bad tire (one of the new ones). Sounds like the guy at the tire place probably knew it was a bad tire, but hopes by you driving it that it will smooth out.

Take your car back tomorrow!

·
AREA 51
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm,

well, BJs did the tires and another place did the alignment. the tires look fine. i called the guy that did the alignment (not the tires) and he said give it a few days. the "mini highway bump symptom" got better after the alignment so i can only assume the tires are ok since the car was waaaaay out of alignment before today and the symptoms were a lot worse right before it was aligned.

i can't see a bad tire causing this unless there was major wear or a huge bulge present.

more thoughts?

·
Registered
942 Posts
AfraidtoMod said:
They might not have balanced the wheel correctly. Try removing the wheel, see if there is any visible damage.
Balance is one possibility.

Also you cant see all tire defects. Some tire companies put out bad batches of tires. At my dealership we had 2 months worth of Continentals (16" wheel size) come in as defective. If the tires were improperly stored, the belt(s) can be warped. Also if you purchased cheap tires, you get what you pay for. Have you hit any potholes lately? Could be a bent wheel also.

·
AREA 51
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys

i have no idea

the whole story is as follows (i'll make it brief)

-wife noticed steering wheel shaking
-VW service attributed it to the new transmission they installed (and this is a 2002 golf)
-steering wheel stopped shaking
-steering wheel actually never stopped but shook above 75mph only - i didn't know that and that's when i realized it must need an alignment
-too late cause both front wheels (outside edges) were bald
-noticed last night that the steel belts were starting to show
-brought it today for 2 new tires
-tire noise worse after new tires
-tire noise drastically improved after alignment except for the symptoms i am describing in this thread that confuse me
-the guy said the car was BADLY out of alignment

thats the jist of it

more thoughts?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Another thing, definitely DO NOT let him get away with "give it a few days". If there are issues with the balancing, or any other issue for that matter, you may be damaging your car. I would demand that they fix the issue immediately.

·
Registered
227 Posts
i was gonna say that it sounds like a bad cv joint u usually notice that when you are turning sounds and feels like a little poping espically when you are turning but when i read on an see that you have had other problems with the alignment i dont know souns like maybe a problem with the tires or they are not ballanced correctly?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can tell you one thing-- Its not the alignment or the tires- You have another problem on you hands. Garages know what they are doing and yes sometimes they do screw up but its a slim next to none chance. Id get a full check up done on the car.

·
AREA 51
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sharoo said:
I can tell you one thing-- Its not the alignment or the tires- You have another problem on you hands. Garages know what they are doing and yes sometimes they do screw up but its a slim next to none chance. Id get a full check up done on the car.
i don't know - that seems a bit extreme...but you might be correct. i paid for the alignment and tires so anything else that might be wrong they should pay for under warranty. its a 2002 VW golf with only 23,000 miles on it. and already needed a new auto transmission!!! :tsk:

·
Registered
942 Posts
bender73 said:
BF Goodrich touring T/A
195/65 R15

Touring T/A's are a relatively cheap tire, definately not BFG's best. There isnt going to be a whole lot you can do to fix it, besides changing tires. Maybe the manager will let you choose another tire for the difference in price. My only other suggestion is to visit your dealer and get your tires road force balanced.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.