BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Which transmission do you have in your car?

• BMW SMG II

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • BMW 6-speed manual transmission

Votes: 34 63.0%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
478 Posts
smg

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
13,189 Posts
i have smg2

and love very minute of it. best of both worlds in traffic and in racing......................
bobm3 :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
There already have been millions of polls on this..

:search: Is a great tool.

If it were up to me I would go with the 6 speed, no doubt.

BTW I did not participate in the poll.

·
Registered
436 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts

·
frequent tire purchaser
669 Posts
Me too.
A performance car just isn't a performance car unless it's got three pedals.

·
Registered
215 Posts
sullyz said:
Me too.
A performance car just isn't a performance car unless it's got three pedals.
Although I agree w/ that in terms of a street car, you left yourself open to some of the SMG zealots who are bound to respond w/ some retort about F1 cars, Ferrari's, and other high end cars using SMG-style transmissions. They will then ask you if "those cars aren't considered performance cars because they lack the 3rd pedal". Just forewarning you!

(here comes the debate!)

·
frequent tire purchaser
669 Posts
Anonymous_FTP said:

Although I agree w/ that in terms of a street car, you left yourself open to some of the SMG zealots who are bound to respond w/ some retort about F1 cars, Ferrari's, and other high end cars using SMG-style transmissions. They will then ask you if "those cars aren't considered performance cars because they lack the 3rd pedal". Just forewarning you!

(here comes the debate!)
I thought of that after I posted.... but it's still how I feel with regards to a street driven car. I personally don't feel as though I have as much control over a vehicle unless I can have control over the clutch. At any time I can cut the power or drag of the drivetrain to the wheels. This is most advantageous during the loss of traction, which I often provoke. Race cars usually avoid this at all costs, so it makes more sense as to why they can get away without having a clutch pedal and reap all the benefits of faster shifts, precise downshifts, rev matching, etc. It takes all the guess work out for them where every second counts, but on the street that's not necessary.... and because of my driving style, I need the extra control that SMG simply doesn't provide.

·
Registered
215 Posts
sullyz said:

I thought of that after I posted.... but it's still how I feel with regards to a street driven car. I personally don't feel as though I have as much control over a vehicle unless I can have control over the clutch. At any time I can cut the power or drag of the drivetrain to the wheels. This is most advantageous during the loss of traction, which I often provoke. Race cars usually avoid this at all costs, so it makes more sense as to why they can get away without having a clutch pedal and reap all the benefits of faster shifts, precise downshifts, rev matching, etc. It takes all the guess work out for them where every second counts, but on the street that's not necessary.... and because of my driving style, I need the extra control that SMG simply doesn't provide.
I agree! That is the reason I love manual transmissions.......w/ a clutch!

·
Registered
405 Posts
i ahve SMG II, i like it alot, but i origanlly wanted the 6 speed, and i still kind of do. but the SMG is awesome. just want the clutch sometimes.

·
Crazy Boy
1,400 Posts
well since all these manual drivers are dogging SMG, ill just go ahead and say this.

i wasnt too cheap to pass up the SMG option.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Mpowered said:
well since all these manual drivers are dogging SMG, ill just go ahead and say this.

i wasnt too cheap to pass up the SMG option.
Has nothing to do w/ being cheap or not. It's preference in transmission styles. Some people just don't get a kick out of SMG....they'd rather drive manual. Just like some people don't get a kick out of BMW's....they'd rather drive Mercedes. And not everybody was dogging SMG....they just said they preferred the clutch pedal and more "complete" control. You can't deny that a traditional manual offers more control than the SMG.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts