E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi lads,

(Included Pics)

Getting 4 new APEC discs and pads next week on my 2004 320CD. Calipers are fairly rusted, should they be restored and sprayed or should I go for new ones? If sprayed, colour ideas???

Likewise, I鈥檝e searched as the dust shields are rusted also, they鈥檙e cheap to replace but read they鈥檙e a massive pain to replace because of small bolt size on them. (Front Left dust shield is loose also) Should I ask for them to be cleaned or source new ones too?

Plan once this is done to have the CSL alloys refurbished and powder coated :)

I need to replace the badges on the wheel too, slowly but surely!

thanks a mil 馃挭

Mark

Attachments

Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
The front brake caliper pistons are well known for sticking/partial failure.
Given the amount of rust I see there, could be an issue.
ATE (brand) new calipers are fairly cheap now.

Registered
2000 BMW E46 323i
I restored my calipers with a piston and seal kits for real cheap. Even though they were rusty as yours are, the inside bore was like new. So i suggest checking them out before deciding whether to restore them or buying new ones like MrMcar suggested. It's really easy to rebuild them. However i would use sandblasting to remove rust because i did it the ol' mechanical way and it was PITA and not worth it. The front dust shields are aluminium and if they are loose, they collapsed around mounting holes so you need new ones.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don鈥檛 think I鈥檇 have the confidence to go at the dust shields from what I read, they can be tricky. Also wouldn鈥檛 want to make matters worse. As for the callipers, if I tried to clean them myself with a wire brush, I could have the calipers sprayed if they鈥檙e still okay but how could I tell if I need new callipers? Thanks btw

I restored my calipers with a piston and seal kits for real cheap. Even though they were rusty as yours are, the inside bore was like new. So i suggest checking them out before deciding whether to restore them or buying new ones like MrMcar suggested. It's really easy to rebuild them. However i would use sandblasting to remove rust because i did it the ol' mechanical way and it was PITA and not worth it. The front dust shields are aluminium and if they are loose, they collapsed around mounting holes so you need new ones.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I鈥檝e bought dust shields x4 to go with brake discs and pads x4. I am having the front left abs sensor and sensor ring replaced also.

Calipers seem to be going for about 鈧100 each from what I can see, do you or anyone have any links you could share on Calipers. I couldn鈥檛 find the ATE ones from above from MrMCar

Yep, it's better to buy new ones if someone isn't familiar with it. Just paint it and bolt on.

Registered
2000 BMW E46 323i
The best way for you would be to go to realoem.com enter your VIN and find brake caliper catalog number you need (rear or front) and copy that and try to find ATE brake calipers that match that number. I can't post direct link since you are in IRL and i'm not familiar where do you guys order from the most (i mean what spare parts internet sites). This method of buying parts works 100% for me and many others and is the easiest way to do it without problems.

Registered
328Ci
Calipers are fairly rusted, should they be restored and sprayed or should I go for new ones?
I bought new TRW calipers in Europe. They were painted silver and they rusted after one rainy season. Had to have them repainted.

Since you are close to the UK maybe it's worth checking if these guys have good price on any color you want: Bigg Red

Premium Member
I bought new TRW calipers in Europe. They were painted silver and they rusted after one rainy season. Had to have them repainted.

Since you are close to the UK maybe it's worth checking if these guys have good price on any color you want: Bigg Red
Brake calipers rust, period.
The only way around it is to have them powder coated, or use special caliper paint.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cheers, I鈥檒l look into having them powder coated as planning to get the wheels done anyway soon/ or if new ones required have them powder coated.

Brake calipers rust, period.
The only way around it is to have them powder coated, or use special caliper paint.

Registered
I don鈥檛 actually know, I can鈥檛 see in the service history when they were changed and car is on 167k miles
miles or kms? I see two issues here: painting teh calipers, and, whether to replace the calipers. If you have 167k miles, I'd be looking at replacing the calipers and hoses - unless you plan on selling next week. Old rusty calipers can start to sieze up - either the pistons, or the slider pins, or the whole mechanism. Or the bleed screws sieze. You can of course keep driving until you have an issue - but then the car may undriveable.
If you use the handbrake, clean and lube the innards. If you insist on painting, much easier to paint a clean surface.

Registered
Cheers, I鈥檒l look into having them powder coated as planning to get the wheels done anyway soon/ or if new ones required have them powder coated.
I don't know if you can have them powder coated with the rubber parts installed. I would think twice aboout using the old calipers. I'd spend the money on new or at least rebuilt calipers . Nobody is going to notice.

Premium Member
I don't know if you can have them powder coated with the rubber parts installed. I would think twice aboout using the old calipers. I'd spend the money on new or at least rebuilt calipers . Nobody is going to notice.
You can't. Has to be disassembled.

Registered
You can't. Has to be disassembled.
Thats what I thought. That puts us back where we started. Someone experienced wouid have to dismantle and reassemble the new caliper. The old caliper would have to be bead blasted - assuming it was salvageable. I'd get new or rebuilt calipers and hoses, maybe paint if you really think that does anything. Safety before appearance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts