E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am doing a brake job on my car for the 2nd time in several years. One thing I am unsure about is the caliper pins. The calipers are pretty rusty and threading in the pins was a bit difficult even after cleaning them up. Are the pins supposed to be driven in all the way? I noticed a gap here. Is this normal? It's in pretty tight, probably more than the 22 ft torque required.

Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior

· Registered
4,922 Posts
They’re indeed supposed to screw in to the point that the threads are covered.

I suspect that you’ve got corrosion in the pin hole. A wire brush might suffice, but a tap will definitely do the job.
I believe the pin shoulder should be seated. You need to clean the threads. Best to use a proper thread chaser since a tap may end up cutting new threads. Be careful. A dremel wire brush might do it, or a plumbing brush.

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thread chaser
Thanks for all that responded. I tried cleaning it out with a wire brush but that didn't help much. If i take out the caliper housing and try to screw in one of the pins they only go in about half way and get stuck. So I think as suggested a thread chaser is what I need. Any idea on the size and if it's a coarse or fine thread?

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I also discovered that finding a thread chaser or tap for this size isn't easy. Even the guy at the store said that's a very rare size. I'm going to make my own thread chaser like this guy did -
Hope it works!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts