BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to calibrate MPG computer

I had 15.7 gallons in my take. After driving in the city only for a week I made 310 miles total which according to my calc 310/15.7 = 19.75miles per gallon but my computer shows 17.2 or sometimes even lover so is it possible to calibrate it?
I reset it several times but its still inaccurate...:banghead:

·
Registered
877 Posts

I had 15.7 gallons in my take. After driving in the city only for a week I made 310 miles total which according to my calc 310/15.7 = 19.75miles per gallon but my computer shows 17.2 or sometimes even lover so is it possible to calibrate it?
Maybe I'm a victim of the same problem? Even if I drive a lot of highway... throw some city into the mix and my MPG tanks into 17 without a problem.

Although it is most likely a driver issue, as before I reset it, I couldn't for the life of me get it above 15, (after various resets) But that was a while ago, now it hovers at 17... I guess I'm beginning to be more conservative with my pedal. I'm a noob manual driver.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Opps I think I was talking about the actual lever that moves up and down as you accelerate...

Any ideas on why that would stick?

·
Registered
873 Posts
I had 15.7 gallons in my take.
Are you trying to say that it took 15.7 gallons of gas to fill up the tank AFTER driving 310 miles on a previously filled tank?

If you're instead trying to say that you put in 15.7 gallons of gas last week and drove around until the gas light came on today, then that's an entirely inaccurate way of measuring fuel consumption. Use the first method.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"Are you trying to say that it took 15.7 gallons of gas to fill up the tank AFTER driving 310 miles on a previously filled tank?"....YES, thats exactly waht I am saying

Now when I thought about it I think its actually shows the correct numbers:

On my odometer I had 269 miles driven on a previously full tank. Today I put 15.6 gallons in the tank so 269/15.6=17.24 m/per gallon and my computer showed 17.2 consumption so its Accurate (if I am calculating it right) :hmm:

I think the numbers migh be even slightly higher because it showed that I still had 31miles left untill empty

Looks like its not so bad for a 01 330ci with 115K on the clock (before I was getting 13-14 miles per gallon)

·
Registered
598 Posts
Your gas gauge assumes you are buying Imperial gallons, which are 1.2 US gallons. Do the math and it will work out the same as your prior calculations.

BMW may have changed this, after 2003, but I'm not sure exactly when.

·
Banned
6,698 Posts

Your MPG guage shows your average MPG, not your most recent trip. So it's taking your total miles, divided by your total consumption.

However, you can reset the MPG reading, and then it will start calculating your new reading from that point on.

Selected MPG readout by pressing in the stem/button on the end of your turn-signal stalk. When selected, press down and hold the stem until it resets (takes about 3 seconds). You can do this to your avg MPH reading too.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Mines has some sort of issue to, i do 80% of city driving. when i bough the car the gauge showed 17.5 MPG, but since then it has started to come down and down to the point that now it only says 13MPG, WTF!!!
isnt there a way to reset all this ??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts