BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok... how many of you have read the C&D Article on the Dinan M3 from this last month. There a couple of things... the M3 package that Dinan had on that car cost a whopping $17,798, which seams like a hell of a lot when the car only get 28 measely horsepower out of that modification. What is even funnier is that C&D had stock M3 outperform the Dinan M3 in terms of acceleration. Obviously when it came to the Dinan pulling .96g's on the skidpad, this was agreat improvement over the stock, but still it did anyone else scratch there head, and wonder a little bit.

Oh yeah.. the final bit which I thought was total BS, and correct me if I'm wrong, was Dianan claiming that a 361HP car could reach 189.... lol.... Maybe its possible if you consider in the %10 error on a BMW speedometer, but I just don't see it a a 3500 pound brick with 361hp with a drag coeficient in the range of like .34?? I think pushing itself to that speed? Wadda you guys think?

·
Registered
104 Posts
The only thing that sounded appealing to me was the increase in handling with no loss of ride comfort. I agree the 189MPH was blue sky, why don't those *****s just do a top speed test? If you're gonna claim it you need to back it up.

For 17K I would expect a little more. I could see coughing up 5-6K on suspension parts but where did the other 10-11K go?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I'm thinking. I would put the money into the suspension, but the HP isn't doing anything for the car.

·
Registered
86 Posts
dinan is teh suxor:tsk: :tsk: :ben: :ben: :banghead: :banghead: :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn:

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
you can easily get better gains from:

gruppeM intake: $1100
Eisenman Exhaust: $1300
Coilovers: $1500-2000
Sways: $ 500
Differential(depends if u want more low end or high speed): $1500

with that .. you should rape that Dinan package with a quickness...

·
Registered
104 Posts
There was an R&T article last year that pitted a 350Z vs. M3(SMG) vs. 996 Targa vs. ZO6. The 350Z had the least power but managed the 2nd fastest lap time. Most likely the Z had higher entry/exit speeds on the corners which has a lot more to do with suspension and braking than engine power.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Douge,
Its actually a point well made, because every type of car engine, weight, suspension setting etc... etc... will have its own advantage on each specific type of track etc.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I think a big cost with that package is the wheels. They are hella expensive! Still, I'd me afraid to mess with the M3 engine too much since it's pretty high-strung to begin with.

·
Registered
238 Posts
MarkY is right, the price is so high because the wheels. This is also the main reason te handling/performance is better, thw wider rubber.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ya to me 17,000+ is no where near worth it. I did think it was cool they got an air intake out of the headlight washer though. And ya 189 MPH is a little high.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm with you guys... the S2 is way overpriced. The only reason he can even charge those prices is because he has the sweet deal with BMW North America to sell through dealers and not void warranty.

Dinan wheels are made by Champion. The only thing special is the front offset which allows you to put more meat up front. You can accomplish the same thing with a number of other wheels like Kinesis and HRE.

The suspension components don't look too impressive either. The Ground Control and TC Kline parts are much better. Hell for the price you could put a Moton system in your car!

I heard one S2 owner reported that his car had 2 less hp on the dyno after the conversion. Dinan blamed it on the dyno!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts