E46 Fanatics Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The common failure points for the E46 cooling system are not the connection fittings. The coolant expansion tank, in my experience, is a much more common failure point. In my cases, I've had to replace two expansion tanks, radiator and the hard coolant pipes residing under the intake manifold. I have never had a failure with the connection fittings of the coolant hoses. Now to be fair, when I replace the coolant expansion tank, I also replace the coolant hoses because I'm there already. I've had my car from 82k (2011) to now 235k

If you're a new E46 owner, there are a couple of links that you may want to read up on:

Edit: I've also had to replace the water pump once and the thermostat once.
Thanks for all the information guys. I'll read over the links.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
even the double ringed hard pipes felt sloppy and were all genuine parts direct from bmw park lane london
Sloppy? These 2 pipes were bolted to the block. I like to see a video showing the pipes were sloppy around when pushing with a finger.

·
Registered
2001 325i Sedan
838 Posts
PSi would prefer 2 Orings.
You mean just like on the brake master cylinders, and calipers?

Oh, wait a minute....

Just cause it makes you feel better, does not mean it IS better. To think you know better than the BMW engineers is a bit arrogant. Especially when you clearly have not even done any research to understand what things actually ARE potential problem areas. Going on "feeling", rather than facts, you will spend a whole lot of money, and make your car LESS reliable. My car went >195K miles with NOTHING but normal, scheduled maintenance, a water pump at 125K miles, and a fuel pump at 170K miles. And my experience is not at all unusual for these cars. As I always used to ask all the engineers working for me: Exactly, what problem are you trying to solve?

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Thermostats and o-rings fail quite often. I’ve replaced my expansion tank 1 time in 200,000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

·
Registered
623 Posts
You mean just like on the brake master cylinders, and calipers?

Oh, wait a minute....

Just cause it makes you feel better, does not mean it IS better. To think you know better than the BMW engineers is a bit arrogant. Especially when you clearly have not even done any research to understand what things actually ARE potential problem areas. Going on "feeling", rather than facts, you will spend a whole lot of money, and make your car LESS reliable. My car went >195K miles with NOTHING but normal, scheduled maintenance, a water pump at 125K miles, and a fuel pump at 170K miles. And my experience is not at all unusual for these cars. As I always used to ask all the engineers working for me: Exactly, what problem are you trying to solve?
I am sure you are right but sometimes you look at something safety related and think mmmm

·
Registered
623 Posts
Thermostats and o-rings fail quite often. I’ve replace my expansion tank 1 time in 200,000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
I have replaced the tank twice and the O rings many times in 40 K miles,thats without all the other leaky cooling bits all now replaced with genune parts where possible and 2 water pumps.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Personally, I just don't like all that plastic.

It's a prejudice having grown up with much simpler plastics.

Yes, that's not my graddaddy's bakelite-

I still don't like the plastic.

The brake caliper seal's a square section in the caliper,
and a cup seal in the master. There may be o- rings in the
pumps, but I've never looked.

t

Reactions: alan53

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
The parts the O ring services are a tighter fit from observation on brakes.
In all calipers, the O-ring sits in the cylinder's groove (same as the hose plastic connector with groove for O-ring) and the piston slides through the O-ring inner diameter. In fact I would say the brake O-ring is not compressed on the movable piston more than the coolant O-ring on the non-moving connector port.
And 29 psi max coolant vs hundreds of psi brake fluid, with just rubber O-ring.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Do you know that the hard working brake caliper has an O-ring to keep the brake oil from leaking around the piston when you step on the pedal hard to avoid rear end someone? Do you trust the brake O-ring?
It's not an o-ring.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
In all calipers, the O-ring sits in the cylinder's groove (same as the hose plastic connector with groove for O-ring) and the piston slides through the O-ring inner diameter. In fact I would say the brake O-ring is not compressed on the movable piston more than the coolant O-ring on the non-moving connector port.
And 29 psi max coolant vs hundreds of psi brake fluid, with just rubber O-ring.
It's not an o-ring.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
7,476 Posts
Semantics. In either vernacular I would not use any typical O Ring composition in a brake caliper seal.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
Semantics. In either vernacular I would not use any typical O Ring composition in a brake caliper seal.
Agreed. I should have used the term brake caliper piston seal, but the idea is that to compare the brake O-ring seal and the coolant O-ring, and it is not the tighter fit in the brake vs. looser fit in the coolant design.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts