E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to not use plastic fittings on the coolant hoses like other cars? Like hook up a hose directly to the radiator?

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
7,476 Posts
I actually resisted the change from the long time clamps to the newer click style hose ends. Turns out in the long run, they were right. The connections are much more positive and pesky leaks owing to shrunken hoses and loose hose clamps are a thing of the past.

·
Registered
2001 330i (pre-facelift)
626 Posts
I just wish the hose ends on the radiator hoses had double o-rings, like the heater pipes. The single o-ring seals make me nervous.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Is there a way to not use plastic fittings on the coolant hoses like other cars? Like hook up a hose directly to the radiator?
It's not the hose that's the issue it's the mating parts of the components to which it attaches. Expansion tank, tstat and radiator.
I very much doubt a jubilee and a straight hose is going to give you a good solid seal. Besides that the top hose splits into
two different diameters at the ET end. How would you handle that?

·
Registered
2001 325i Sedan
838 Posts
In 240K miles, I've had ONE very small leak in a hose. Replaced the O-ring, and it's good. Replace all hoses every 10 years/100K miles, and you should never have a problem. The clip-on fittings work just great, and attempting to replace them with a jury-rigged replacement would surely result in a HUGE loss of reliability.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, thanks for replies. I don't want to jerryrig it. I was hoping there was company that made parts of out of metal or a different rad and expansion tank.

·
Registered
2001 330i (pre-facelift)
626 Posts
There are metal expansion tanks and thermostat housings available. But I'm not aware of any metal hose ends.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
Ok, thanks for replies. I don't want to jerryrig it. I was hoping there was company that made parts of out of metal or a different rad and expansion tank.
Do you have problems with the stock part? What exactly was going wrong?

I really like the coolant hose system overall, and the only wish is that those hard plastic pipes were made out of aluminum. Lube the O-rings with brake grease and those hoses will cause no problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't have any problems. I just got tge car and am looking over things and the plastic fittings just look like they would be better replaced with something else.

My other car is a tacoma and it's got regular hoses hooked up to metal fittings and it works well. I don't get why bmw doesn't have a similar thing going on.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I have a FULL cooling system refresh and i still dont trust it on long journeys,as pointed out the single O ring doesnt instill confidence,and for me the fact that the parts are a tiny bit wobbly even when genuine and new.Otherwise great cars.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What about the racing crowd? They use stock cooling components? If I'm changing parts I'd rather upgrade to race grade components.

·
Registered
2001 325i Sedan
838 Posts
BMW has been using those hoses for over 20 years. Do you really believe they would STILL be using them if they were unreliable??

There are plenty of REAL problems on these cars you could be concerned about. Don't waste time "fixing" imaginary ones.

And thinking that parts that are good for racing are automatically better then stock for a street car is just plain wrong, in so many ways...

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
I have a FULL cooling system refresh and i still dont trust it on long journeys,as pointed out the single O ring doesnt instill confidence,and for me the fact that the parts are a tiny bit wobbly even when genuine and new.Otherwise great cars.
Do you know that the hard working brake caliper has an O-ring to keep the brake oil from leaking around the piston when you step on the pedal hard to avoid rear end someone? Do you trust the brake O-ring?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BMW has been using those hoses for over 20 years. Do you really believe they would STILL be using them if they were unreliable??

There are plenty of REAL problems on these cars you could be concerned about. Don't waste time "fixing" imaginary ones.

And thinking that parts that are good for racing are automatically better then stock for a street car is just plain wrong, in so many ways...
I'm not trying to race it out. It's just the cooling components that concern me. If there's an option to get something that deals with this I wanted ti know about because I've read thay the cooling system on bmw is something to watch out for.

What are the other real problems thay I should investigate? I just got the car and want to do as much preventive maintenance as I can. Since there's a large following with these cars and they've been around for 10 years I wanted to get on top of all known issues before I start driving it around.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
My other car is a tacoma and it's got regular hoses hooked up to metal fittings and it works well. I don't get why bmw doesn't have a similar thing going on.
BWM O-ring method is for faster assembly in production. If properly installed they are just fine.

·
Registered
623 Posts
BWM O-ring method is for faster assembly in production. If properly installed they are just fine.
I accept what you say its just that they never feel right to me even the double ringed hard pipes felt sloppy and were all genuine parts direct from bmw park lane london

·
Registered
623 Posts
Do you know that the hard working brake caliper has an O-ring to keep the brake oil from leaking around the piston when you step on the pedal hard to avoid rear end someone? Do you trust the brake O-ring?
Sure but the tolerances are much tighter there,PSi would prefer 2 Orings.

·
Registered
2005 330xi Auto, 2006 330ci Vert Auto
373 Posts
The common failure points for the E46 cooling system are not the connection fittings. The coolant expansion tank, in my experience, is a much more common failure point. In my cases, I've had to replace two expansion tanks, radiator and the hard coolant pipes residing under the intake manifold. I have never had a failure with the connection fittings of the coolant hoses. Now to be fair, when I replace the coolant expansion tank, I also replace the coolant hoses because I'm there already. I've had my car from 82k (2011) to now 235k

If you're a new E46 owner, there are a couple of links that you may want to read up on:

Edit: I've also had to replace the water pump once and the thermostat once.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts