BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2003 e46 325i Touring, 1986 e30 320i 2-door
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am feeling pretty guilty as I recently added 1 quart/litre of engine oil to my m54 while the engine was running. I know it is probably stupid thing to do, I was in a hurry and did not realize it. The car is 2003 325i Touring.

Right now I feel pretty bad about it and I would like to ask someone more experienced, if there is a possibility I have damaged something in the engine by doing this. Thanks for any reply.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Naw, should be ok. There are way dumber things you could have done.
I once saw post where someone filled up their engine oil, as in several gallons until it was seeping out the filler port in the valve cover!

·
Registered
2004 325i automagic
2,553 Posts
Good question to ask, but if you are just topping up then hard to see any problem, just a temporary vacuum leak until cap goes back on.

Now if you had just drained the oil and then started engine dry in order to fill it ... that would be a problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good question to ask, but if you are just topping up then hard to see any problem, just a temporary vacuum leak until cap goes back on.

Now if you had just drained the oil and then started engine dry in order to fill it ... that would be a problem.
Thanks, it was just topping.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The M54 engine can safely hold an extra quart of oil without significant negative impact as per my trusted mechanic. It really is no biggie. I’ve topped off engine running a few times; it’s accurate enough.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Evane,

Yes all will be well but we are making a major assumption here. That is your oil level is only a quart high. I strongly suggest you shut off the engine for 10 minutes and check the oil level on the dipstick before anything is declared OK. I'm not sure what to tell him RE: the distance between marks on the dipstick. Is it 1 quart as is common? If so, Evane - use that distance to estimate how much over filled you are. As mentioned, a quart is no biggie. Or it may be you needed a quart, knew it, added it while the engine was running and now your oil level is fine. Worth checking.

Reactions: Evane18

·
Registered
543 Posts
Also, FR33man, I'll disagree with the direction of your post. It is definitely not OK to check the oil level when the engine is running, then top it off as an "accurate enough" way of maintaining proper oil level. Not sure if that's what you meant, but just so a neophyte doesn't read your post and assume that to be good advice.

Reactions: BaliDawg

·
Registered
129 Posts
Also, FR33man, I'll disagree with the direction of your post. It is definitely not OK to check the oil level when the engine is running, then top it off as an "accurate enough" way of maintaining proper oil level. Not sure if that's what you meant, but just so a neophyte doesn't read your post and assume that to be good advice.
I agree with your rebuttal. I’ve only done it when time was scarce and had a good idea of my true oil level (I like to watch my engine drink oil so I’m always aware of how much I have).

·
Registered
543 Posts
Heh, and I'll add minor kudus to you as well for that, and DOUBLE kudus for admitting a humanesque feeling for your automobile. Something I also ascribe to, so joining you in that category. When I'm finished doing something on one of my cars, I sometimes pat them on the hood, give words of encouragement, etc. It's a mild psychosis I practice in the garage...

·
Registered
138 Posts
wouldn't worry about it, just check the level without engine running to be sure its not overfilled. Other than that you should be fine.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The M54 engine can safely hold an extra quart of oil without significant negative impact as per my trusted mechanic. It really is no biggie. I’ve topped off engine running a few times; it’s accurate enough.
On the occasion I have placed an extra amount of oil in the m54...I could tell the difference in the idel...and because of that I hurriedly pumped out the extra, why take chances these things are fickle!

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Evane,

Yes all will be well but we are making a major assumption here. That is your oil level is only a quart high. I strongly suggest you shut off the engine for 10 minutes and check the oil level on the dipstick before anything is declared OK. I'm not sure what to tell him RE: the distance between marks on the dipstick. Is it 1 quart as is common? If so, Evane - use that distance to estimate how much over filled you are. As mentioned, a quart is no biggie. Or it may be you needed a quart, knew it, added it while the engine was running and now your oil level is fine. Worth checking.
I was just topping the level in a hurry as my m54 burns oil slightly. Right now and after the fill up, engine oil level sit slightly above the max mark on the dipstick when turned off. Check the photo
0099D6BD-42C3-47A2-BFCE-B753B66864B5.jpeg

1 - 20 of 26 Posts