BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to forums and owning a BMW. Having owned nothing but US vehicles until last year when I bought my wife an S2000 and now my 325Ci convertible.

The BMW designators all seem a bit confusing to me. Can anyone post a brief rundown of what the difference between the classes and the individual C, i, x ect I did a bit of a search but didn’t come up with anything most likely because I couldn’t figure out how to word the search that wasn’t 6 or 8 words.

·
TiAg 330i
567 Posts
3 = 3 series
30 = 3.0 L
Ci = coupe
i = sedan
CiC = covertible coupe
Xi = all wheel drive sedan
iT = touring (wagon)
XiT = awd touring

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Well, first off let me say welcome to the "ultimate driving experience". To answer your question, the plain i, as in 325i is just a sedan. The Ci's are coupe's. As for the Xi's...I have no idea (four wheel drive???). With BMW, the number (example - 325, 540 etc.) after the first, regards to the number of liters that particluar engine has. A 325 has a 2.5 liter, a 540 has a 4.0 liter etc. The first numbers (3,5,7, etc.) just tell what "series" it is. Generally, the lower the number the more sport oriented it is (although the 545 and 750 are sporty as hell). the 3 series is the sports car. the 5 series is a mix between sporty and luxurious. The 7 series is more luxury than sport, athough it is pretty quick. All BMW's for the most part have alot of sport written into their gene code. The M series is the ALL out sports car. Hope that helps, and if anyone finds anything wrong with my rundown, please correct me. Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
202 Posts
ughh.....540 had a 4.4, 323 has 2.5, 318 had 2.1(ithink) :p

·
www.piratecove.org
3,706 Posts
T_DOT_BIMMER said:
What about ZHP? i know it refers to the performance package, but what does ZHP stand for?
ZHP is the ordering code for the package on the dealers order sheet, when he fills out your options you want on the car

·
needs a new sig...
4,820 Posts
ak330i said:
3 = 3 series
30 = 3.0 L
Ci = coupe
i = sedan
CiC = covertible coupe
Xi = all wheel drive sedan
iT = touring (wagon)
XiT = awd touring
This is correct but it is missing some and has some problems.

The first # is the series

The second # is the size of the motor (in liters) it is usually dead on or pretty close

L as in Li or iL signifiys a long wheelbase

i meand fuel injection, d means diesel

1 - 10 of 10 Posts