BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2000 330Ci Vert
35 Posts
Mate the rubber that attaches to the cone and outer ring has gone. Same happened to mine. There is a guide on here about repairing them, or you can buy second hand speakers or go after market with adapter rings. Choice is yours

·
Registered
2001 325Ci
10 Posts
I had the same problem. My solution:

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
4,141 Posts
Ok, people. This was intended to be funny!
;)

My speakers were buzzing but when I pulled them I didn't expect that level of decay!

All better now:
View attachment 924959
The first pic is a non HK touring, this one is the HK "subs". Did you swap them in? Or is that part of the joke?

I put BavSound speakers in as a couple of my mid bass speakers looked like the pic from the OP, but they don't include subs for the touring. Fortunately mine are still in decent shape.

·
Super Moderator
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
6,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had buzzing and hated the sound, so I decided to put HK in. I picked up the amp and most of the speakers, and got the amp and woofers in (that is the photo a few posts up). The torn speakers are the original Hifi ones.

oh my god it sounds so much better!

I am going to wire in an aftermarket amp at some point.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Buzzing speakers?
Call a bee keeper.
Doh! Dad joke alert. In my case Grandpa alert.
Sorry, couldn't help my self.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Just a little bit of double sided tape to catch all the eventual air flow and it’ll be good as new

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,707 Posts
...and I tried to repair all four of mine with replacement foam rings/glue. One out of four worked fine...centering them is critical if trying a diy.

Finally got my system fixed but good--with new (to me) car. :)

·
Super Moderator
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
6,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes. I installed the HK speakers and they worked with the HiFi. Needed both the speakers and the enclosures, and luckily the local Pick n Pull was having a good harvest that day.

Then I replaced the HiFi amp with an HK one and it sounds MUCH better. The power of diminished expectations. ;)

·
Registered
192 Posts
my hi-fi speakers look fine, but sound is not the best, my old e46 touring had HK and it sounded so clean, only needed bit more bass. Guess I will look into this. Where is the amp located? I had the side panels off in the boot but there is nothing there. Looks like its all running from headunit.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Correct me if I’m wrong but only the HK upgrade has the amp in the back trunk (left area behind fabric) and the. You’d also have 2 additional “subwoofers” in the rear deck area

don’t think the normal system has an amp
This makes me itch to do my system on my new e46

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
4,141 Posts
my hi-fi speakers look fine, but sound is not the best, my old e46 touring had HK and it sounded so clean, only needed bit more bass. Guess I will look into this. Where is the amp located? I had the side panels off in the boot but there is nothing there. Looks like its all running from headunit.
The Hi-Fi has no extra amp IIRC, but the HK system adds on to the driver's side rear quarter.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,870 Posts
HK speakers will have different impedance specs from standard. that’s why you’ll want to have matched amp to speaker ohms.

Reactions: VpointVick
1 - 20 of 21 Posts