E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the need of a new clutch and flywheel combo and thought i would go the single mass flywheel route.
It seems to be both cheaper and arguably better, but weirdly enough i cannot seem to find a kit for my car in any Europe shops,
INCLUDING ebay...
The kit I am looking for is the Valeo 52401220, verified to fit my car through bimmerworld.
The only kit I can find in our shops here in Europe is the Valeo 836557 kit. This only seems to fit the 2.0 and 2.5 liter engines, none of the 2.8 or 3.0 liters.
Is there any one of you that has managed to find a compatible single mass flywheel kit for the 330xi in europe?
Or does anyone know where i can find a complete Valeo product overview to double check the part numbers?

Thank you very much for all answers.

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
11,388 Posts
I am in the need of a new clutch and flywheel combo and thought i would go the single mass flywheel route.
It seems to be both cheaper and arguably better, but weirdly enough i cannot seem to find a kit for my car in any Europe shops,
INCLUDING ebay...
The kit I am looking for is the Valeo 52401220, verified to fit my car through bimmerworld.
The only kit I can find in our shops here in Europe is the Valeo 836557 kit. This only seems to fit the 2.0 and 2.5 liter engines, none of the 2.8 or 3.0 liters.
Is there any one of you that has managed to find a compatible single mass flywheel kit for the 330xi in europe?
Or does anyone know where i can find a complete Valeo product overview to double check the part numbers?

Thank you very much for all answers.
I would have to think that plenty are available from England?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So i did some more research. The part number for the 330xi kit is Valeo 52401220 for the US marked. For the European market the part number is Valeo 835044.
The weird part is that the part is apparently still in production for the US market, but has been discontinued for the European market...
The only kit that is available to me here in Europe is the Valeo 835087, which is meant for lower power models of the M54.
Curiously enough the 325xi is listed on both the Valeo 52401220 and the Valeo 835087, which leads me to believe the Valeo 835087 would fit on my 330xi.
Sadly I have no way of knowing whether the pressure plate is dimensioned for the torque of the 330xi.

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
11,388 Posts
So i did some more research. The part number for the 330xi kit is Valeo 52401220 for the US marked. For the European market the part number is Valeo 835044.
The weird part is that the part is apparently still in production for the US market, but has been discontinued for the European market...
The only kit that is available to me here in Europe is the Valeo 835087, which is meant for lower power models of the M54.
Curiously enough the 325xi is listed on both the Valeo 52401220 and the Valeo 835087, which leads me to believe the Valeo 835087 would fit on my 330xi.
Sadly I have no way of knowing whether the pressure plate is dimensioned for the torque of the 330xi.

Yes, you would need to know that. Many have upgraded their engines from 2.5>3.0L with the std. clutch. However with the advent of the 4 WD system and the extra initial drag of the transfer case and front drive bits, a smaller clutch might see some increased wear from a stop over time. When compared to the larger (correct) sized one.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

Yes, you would need to know that. Many have upgraded their engines from 2.5>3.0L with the std. clutch. However with the advent of the 4 WD system and the extra initial drag of the transfer case and front drive bits, a smaller clutch might see some increased wear from a stop over time. When compared to the larger (correct) sized one.
Good point, I guess i havent really considered the difference in drag, I was mostly considering the difference in peak torque between the M54B25 and the M54B30 (about 55 nm).
I have the 3.46 diffs in my 330xi, so I guess that would reduce the wear of the clutch from a stand still.

Edit:
Did some research on boosted 325i's with the stock clutch. Seems like the stock clutch holds more than the 300 nm that i have in my car, and thats with the smaller 228mm clutch. The one I am looking at is a 240mm so I think I will go for it and see what happens.
This is what i mean

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.