BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm looking to buy an M3. For now this particular car is beautiful, but :banghead: I need your pro help forum-mates please take a look and tell me your opinion!

link::read: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/3055658753.html

it's on the craigslist, has a Salvage title, the owner said he bought that as is(but if he is not mistaken the had a front collision, with no serious damage), please take a look and tell me if overall it's a good price to pay for salvage, or maybe I shouldn't buy at all, this would be my first M3, so please help me with a lots of advises! Also if I should buy this, what do I have to pay attention too?

I have checked the options on Edmunds.com here is the result, and clean car shows approximately 15500$

link::read: http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/m3/2004/tmv-appraise-results.html

Please help me decide!
Other then SALVAGE TITLE I like everything on the car.

Much appreciated in advance! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Looks realy good to me. At least it's not a SMG.
With E46 there is nothing other than the engine and transmission that you don't replace from time to time, maybe it be 50k to 150k. Everything gets changed.
Since it's a 2004 and convertible I won't worry about the subframe. But to check where the accident happened. Salvage is pretty serious damage

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks realy good to me. At least it's not a SMG.
With E46 there is nothing other than the engine and transmission that you don't replace from time to time, maybe it be 50k to 150k. Everything gets changed.
Since it's a 2004 and convertible I won't worry about the subframe. But to check where the accident happened. Salvage is pretty serious damage
Thank you very much, the thing I worried about is a frame damage and to sell it later on. Also do you know if I can get an extended warranty on salvage title car?

·
Banned
7,237 Posts
A shoddy repair can mean huge problems down the line. It is a convertible so I don't expect you'd track it or anything, but do get it inspected by a third party.

70k M3 for 15k? Miles could easily be rolled back. Don't expect a high resale value because of the salvage title.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all, I was just on the phone with one of my friends, he said the same, that I will marry this car (means can't resale it later) I am not sure to keep it for good, I would have fun driving around about a year or two then sell it, but because of salvage you are right, I will loose about 6K in a year + whatever car needs to run in good shape! Anyways Thank you all, still looking for one, I am afraid to buy 2001-2003 I have red in the forums that they have some frame problems. Also I will not pay more then 18K, I think I will find it, hopefully !!! Let me know if there will be good news for me!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Wouldn't touch it. Not worth the risk even with the low price. I'm in the market for an 04-06 m3. Seems like a steal but you are playing with fire. Maybe pay for a PPI and see what a garage thinks.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone ! Appreciate your help! I think I will leave it for now :) I made an offer, lower price, but he said I'm wasting his time! So I wished him a good luck!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I see. Maybe you didn't drive it hard?

·
Registered
10,126 Posts
I will never buy a salvage title car again.

With that said, that's a nice combo. Get rid of the corners, the fog light covers, some LM's and a nice drop and you're golden.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts