E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
They are loud, they are heavier, they certainly don't handle as well, the tops can fail, the tops WILL fail, the top needs to be treated, the top is not safe meaning someone can slice right through it.

Sincerely, regretful convertible owner.

·
Registered
0 Posts
They are loud, they are heavier, they certainly don't handle as well, the tops can fail, the tops WILL fail, the top needs to be treated, the top is not safe meaning someone can slice right through it.

Sincerely, regretful convertible owner.

buuuuuuttt your forgetting about all the extra legroom your lady passengers can use, and WILL use.. :str8pimpi

:slap:

·
Registered
0 Posts
An M3 is gorgeous and when done properly not trying to be a racecar, it can be incredible. I just grew out of it and learned I'm not one to own one. A coupe is my destiny after this.
Agreed - to the OP - I wouldn't own an M3 vert if I lived in a city or needed it as my daily driver. There is far too much upkeep with the tops, especially on 6+ year old cars. Another thing to consider is whether you will be keeping this in a garage, if not, be prepared to be constantly tending to your top if the snow begins to fall as the added weight of ice, slush, or snow can ruin the structural integrity of your roof. I purchased my vert for the summer weather and have almost no use for the top unless it spontaneously rains and I am stuck in traffic. OP, you and I both know Verts are sexy as hell and if you've got the itch your going to get one either way: just be prepared for the added responsibility. To your original question, yes the seals can start to leak especially on the oldest models. A lot of it is common sense and good judgement. If the convertible motor has NOT been replaced, it will ultimately need to.. and its $$$. My advice is get the VIN and contact your local BMW center for the Service history report. Also check the top above the rear seats as this is most commonly where the tops will wear from usage and begin to split. Ask what type of upkeep the owner has performed - look for something garage kept. Just my .02, you can buy mine in a couple months if you still want one :thumbsup:

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have an 04 ZHP and I live in the cold weather. It is my everyday driver and I have had zero problems with the car. I have summer and winter wheels and I do all of my own maintenance with little to no issues. I do keep up with the top as I do not have a garage. I take care of the roof seals as well to keep them moisturized so they do not split. I have replaced the belts as well as the LCABs but that is typical for all older models.

Bottom line....as long as the car has been taken care of and you continue the trend then it will last a long time....you cannot beat the top down driving in any and all seasons.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I owned an E46b M3 vert in Dubai ... I had a manual but they used to have problems with the SMG's there ... they often needed to replace the trans fluid pump at around 100K km ... probably due to the heat and fine sand. Not sure if people have the same problem in other parts of the world.

The other thing that tends to go on the verts is the roof lining ... the "bat wings" covering the rear folding mechanicals tend to crack with age and the sharp edges wear holes in the lining. Had this issue in Dubai with the M3 and now in HK with my 330CI vert.

There seems to be a lot of people in this forum with problems with their roofs but I'm on to my 3rd E46 vert and never had a problem ... touch wood!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
There's actually a very good post on what to use, two different kinds of "grease". Not exactly sure where it is but you should be able to find it pretty easily.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
i LOVE my vert, there is nothing like having the top down on a warm summer night/ spring day, im looking into a hardtop for the moer cold weathers such as winter. BUY IT!!!! 44K is a baby i bought mine at 60K =\, now i have 93K, no top fails (knock on wood). just look for the seals, and YES they do creak, they do rattle, and are heavy, and not as "sporty" as far as speed and handling as the coupes. MAKE SURE to check when the top is down if on the passanger and driver side the little "door" is closed, to sum it up, when the top is down make sure there are no holes and misssing pieces, if the piece is missing trust me, you can see it unless youre blind.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I love my vert as well. No issues with the top thus far, just be smart with it. Clean, treat and DO NOT GO THROUGH automatic car washes.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.