BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
The car is currently titled and registered to me. My son has a signed title....
Until he reaches Oregon and goes to DMV with the signed NJ Title to apply for an Oregon Title, it's as if he borrowed your car for a cross-country drive.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Yes, in this case definitely leave it in your name until he arrives in OR. Also, insurance companies don't like it when the insured vehicle is registered to someone else. I went through this when my son totaled his car. In that case it was registered to him but I had it under my insurance. They put up a fight but backed away quickly due to my many cars, motorcycle, and house with over 20 years history. I'm not sure how it would have gone down had we not had that leverage and good will.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
461 Posts
That's a great car - you are correct. If he changes the fluids and filters and such it will run over 300k miles very economically. Great choice.

·
Registered
26,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So, today he tried to get to the DMW but they told him he had to leave...they were already full at first thing.

So, he'll be driving with insurance in his name, in a car registered and currently titled, with the title indicating he bought the car from me. I think he'll be fine finishing up the sale out of state...and I think the insurance company will have a hard time getting out of paying since the car is insured by vin# to him, and the address on his insurance, matches my address on the title...so an out of state cop shouldn't have any issue with all of that.

I worry too much, but I do love him! Otherwise, why would I call him 'honey'?

Thank you again, Fanatics, you've helped me get through this trauma in my life. Speaking of which, if you haven't read Archbid's post about the girl who lost everything...who just crashed her E46. $5 would go a long way if enough contributed. We should help her get her E46 back.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I live in Oregon. I bought my E46 convertible from a private party in California. I flew down there, we did the transaction signing over the title and sale slip. I hopped into the car, drove it up to Oregon and registered it the next day. It was easy and problem free. No tax to anybody, no dealing with anybody but the Oregon DMV.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts