BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

My son has the title of my car (Toyota) filled out, sold to him, but he is planning on moving to Oregon and registering it there.

It is insured in his name, but, being his dad, I'm concerned he'll have an issue and I'll be stuck sitting at the DMV in NJ, not him before he goes.

Any DMV nerds and/or those who've bought cars from out of state? Doesn't he need to pay sales tax when he registers the car in NJ...is he exempt from paying sales tax if he lives/registers it elsewhere?

·
Registered
582 Posts
When does he plan to register it in Oregon? All states allow you to buy a car from another state. Typically you have to get a temporary transfer tag (or whatever it's called - there is a special name for it) from the destination state that is good for some short period of time (anywhere from a few days to a month if I recall correctly).

There is a bit of a chicken and egg problem though. If you are in NJ with the car and want to get a temporary tag from OR, how do you apply for and pick up the tag? The rules for this vary between the states.

I've done this twice. Once buying a car in NJ and bringing it to Delaware and once buying a car in DE and driving it to TX. It's been many years so the details are unfortunately a little fuzzy but maybe it is enough to help you search Google. I do remember calling my local DMV and explaining what I wanted to do and they helped point me in the right direction.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
2,354 Posts
OR doesn't charge any tax on registration IIRC, but Jersey does. I'm pretty sure that you'll have to transfer the title to him at NJ MVC and pay the tax, but I'm not sure that you'd have to actually register the car for a full term at that point, just get a temporary moving permit.

At least he's not going to state where he'd get taxed twice!

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
If your son lives in Oregon, then the NJ DMV does not need to be involved. You sign the clear NJ Title, he applies for a new Title in Oregon with the car. A DMV employee will physically verify the the VIN and then provide him a temporary registration until the new Oregon Title arrives. And we have no tax here in Oregon either.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Yes, if the car is going to be transported to OR and not driven I would just do everything in OR. If the intention is to drive it there you have to get a temporary transit tag (Oregon calls this a trip tag for some reason). The easiest is to use the link I shared above. You have to show proof of permanent address at the destination though.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Personally, I don’t see this as anything different from taking a road trip to Oregon in a NJ titled/registered car if the insurance is already in his name and he carries the signed over title with him. Do the whole titling and registering and tag thing in Oregon one time, when he gets there. I am actually a little surprised that the insurance company put the insurance in his name without having the title in his name. I just did this last year when I took possession of my sons car from Virginia and I am in Maryland. My insurance company wouldn’t let me put the car on my insurance until titling was imminent, like within a day or two, which needed to be after a successful in bound car state inspection. Just my thoughts.

It’s great that Oregon is not going to charge sales tax. It’s always a game here in MD with regard to the sale price about paying sales tax on used car private sales.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Doug ,does he have proof that he is Definitely moving to Oregon? If he does then all he has to do is apply for a temporary nonresident registration, good for 30 days and he can drive the car to Oregon . If no proof of Oregon address ,then i suggest he hang on to the SIGNED NJ Title , keep the car Registered/insured under YOU while HE drive that ULTRA LOW MILEAGE CAMRY to Oregon.
When he reaches Oregon -he can then title,register,insure pay sales tax there, but seriously-just declare it as a gift.

·
Registered
26,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's already insured under him...and he does have the signed title...but I've convinced him to get a title in his name from NJ...I don't trust insurance companies not to slime out on a technicality. So, he'll make the penultimate sacrifice, and wait in line in the DMV. :)

Anyway, thanks everyone...dads need stuff to worry about. :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
Poor guy going to be in line for a loooooong time...he'll have a full grown beard the next time you see him...

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
...but I've convinced him to get a title in his name from NJ...
That is a complete waste of time and money. Oregon DMV will take that new Title when he applies for an Oregon title. It won't matter to our DMV whether the NJ Title is in his name or yours as long as he has a clear signed Title.

I've bought several cars from other states and drove them home to Oregon.

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
2,354 Posts
That is a complete waste of time and money. Oregon DMV will take that new Title when he applies for an Oregon title. It won't matter to our DMV whether the NJ Title is in his name or yours as long as he has a clear signed Title.

I've bought several cars from other states and drove them home to Oregon.
His concern isn't what OR DMV will do, it's what the insurance company will do if he's in an accident en route and the paperwork isn't all in order.

·
Registered
642 Posts
If your son lives in Oregon, then the NJ DMV does not need to be involved. You sign the clear NJ Title, he applies for a new Title in Oregon with the car. A DMV employee will physically verify the the VIN and then provide him a temporary registration until the new Oregon Title arrives. And we have no tax here in Oregon either.
^this.
It’s about what state home address he uses.

·
Registered
642 Posts
His concern isn't what OR DMV will do, it's what the insurance company will do if he's in an accident en route and the paperwork isn't all in order.
They’ll do what they always do: try to deny the claim.

What he can do is notify them in writing what is happening to the car as a “move” from NJ and where it will be permanently domiciled (OR, which determines the policy). When he gets the new registration he gives them that: they just want to be able to track all the accidents on the VIn and by him.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Agree - total waste of time and money for your son and the insurance issue is non existent. A simple call to the insurance company from your son explaining things and asking for confirmation the vehicle is covered en route with a written email or an emailed copy of the proper piece of insurance paperwork we all carry would suffice. I'd be pissed if my Dad made me pay NJ "you just bought a car here's the sales tax bill" and then had me repeat the process a couple weeks later in OR. If the transaction was a $10k car he may be writing NJ a check for $500 - more than the fuel to drive the car to OR. Tell him to cancel his appointment. Your liability ends when you signed the title and the NJ form that absolves you of responsibility if the buyer fails to re-register the car. All states have this form to protect sellers against this common problem. You sell a car and it's in an accident a month later and the injured party sees it is still registered to you and comes after you. Never sell a car without making the buyer sign this form.

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
2,354 Posts
They’ll do what they always do: try to deny the claim.

What he can do is notify them in writing what is happening to the car as a “move” from NJ and where it will be permanently domiciled (OR, which determines the policy). When he gets the new registration he gives them that: they just want to be able to track all the accidents on the VIn and by him.
I'd do what you're saying - drive it cross country and then register it in OR, but dads being dads there are worries, in which case it's just a little bit of extra cash and making the boy stand in line at NJ MVC for peace of mind.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
...it's what the insurance company will do if he's in an accident en route and the paperwork isn't all in order.
If he has a valid license (from any state) and he has insurance on the car in his name, then nothing. The Title status isn't relevant. I can't even see how the registration (current tags from NJ) status could be relevant. He has a license, he has insurance, end of story.

·
Registered
455 Posts
It's already insured under him...and he does have the signed title...but I've convinced him to get a title in his name from NJ...I don't trust insurance companies not to slime out on a technicality. So, he'll make the penultimate sacrifice, and wait in line in the DMV. :)

Anyway, thanks everyone...dads need stuff to worry about. :)
Where did you send him Doug? Heard Rahway isnt that bad and hope not Newark.

·
Registered
582 Posts
All motor vehicles driven on public roads must have a valid registration even if it is temporary. If the car is driven without valid registration I would expect the insurance company to deny any claim and I would expect the driver to get tickets along the way and probably have the car towed off the road or impounded until registration is obtained. It is silly to even talk of driving an unregistered car across the country.

·
Registered
26,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Haha...of course there's going to be a difference of opinion here! Thank you all, again, for your thoughts.

The car is currently titled and registered to me. My son has a signed title showing it's now his and the insurance is in his name for the car. It is a gift, but I think he still has to pay some sales tax, so I'll tell him to say it cost $200 or something like that. Registration and new plates might cost $30. He is getting a great car...a '97 Camry V6 with 50K miles. My mom's car. :)

For those of you who know me at all, my ocd does extend to thinking about my son and a long drive. I think it's safest for him if all his papers were in synch. I might be absolved of liability, but I don't trust the ins. company(s).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts