E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone knew what a person needs to do to get a car in Oregon.

I personnally dont live there but I do have some friends that do, I was wondering if I wanted to get a car in Oregon, because it is cheaper with no tax, what I would need to ask my friend.

thanks

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
O/S Purchase of New Car

AAA_cubed said:
I was wondering if anyone knew what a person needs to do to get a car in Oregon.

I personnally dont live there but I do have some friends that do, I was wondering if I wanted to get a car in Oregon, because it is cheaper with no tax, what I would need to ask my friend.

thanks
Well if your a Cali resident (work, student, pay taxes, licensed) it's against the law: :read: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/appndxa/hlthsaf/hs43151.htm
A "New Vehicle", is considered to be a vehicle with 7,500 miles or less at the time of sale.
If caught by CA-DMV, they can refuse to register/title your vehicle and require that you remove & sell it out of State. Hope this helps.

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,293 Posts
AAA_cubed said:

thanks
You'd have to ask your friend to buy the car for you, then let him register and drive it for 6 months in Oregon, then sell it to you. Then you would have to pay tax on it to register it in CA.

So you would not really be ahead at all. Just buy the car in CA and pay the tax, just like a grown up would do.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Dude just come buy one. I highly doubt they will go to the trouble to report it. Either that or I will buy it for you and you give me cash. Or even better, you find someone in Oregon to go to Washington because they don't have to pay sales tax with Oregon ID. I know for a fact the cars are cheaper up there to compensate for the high taxes. Thats how I got such a good deal :thumbup:

·
Registered
272 Posts
This is how it works. If you bought a car from a state that does not charge tax and then you want to register the same car in your state later where there is sale tax then you will have to pay tax on your state when you register. You don't get away with tax.

My friend bought a Jetta in Oregon while he was working there at intel. THen he came to Maryland where tax is 5%. When he tried to register his car he had to pay 5% excise tax on the blue book value of the vehicle because the car was never registered in Maryland. If you could buy a car without tax from another state and get away with paying tax everyone in East Coast would go to Delaware to buy cars. DMV are smarter than that to allow people to get away paying taxes.

The only time you don't pay tax when you register your car is when the previous state has higher sales tax. If not then you have to pay the difference.

Just buy the car in CA. It's not worth the hassle.

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,293 Posts
daeojkim said:
This is how it works. If you bought a car from a state that does not charge tax and then you want to register the same car in your state later where there is sale tax then you will have to pay tax on your state when you register. You don't get away with tax.

My friend bought a Jetta in Oregon while he was working there at intel. THen he came to Maryland where tax is 5%. When he tried to register his car he had to pay 5% excise tax on the blue book value of the vehicle because the car was never registered in Maryland. If you could buy a car without tax from another state and get away with paying tax everyone in East Coast would go to Delaware to buy cars. DMV are smarter than that to allow people to get away paying taxes.

The only time you don't pay tax when you register your car is when the previous state has higher sales tax. If not then you have to pay the difference.

Well said. Especially in CA - the only thing the CA gov't does very well is collect taxes. I used to live there and learned that first-hand.

·
Resident CF Whore
2,440 Posts
slow323ci said:
Saving a buck legally = good

Saving a buck illegally = bad

Didn't your mother teach you about that kind of stuff?
I said looking for ways.
Obviously.. if it was illegal, it's not a way.
I didn't tell him to just go and do it.

·
Registered
986 Posts
slow323ci said:
Well said. Especially in CA - the only thing the CA gov't does very well is collect taxes. I used to live there and learned that first-hand.
:werd: One of the largest economies in the world, yet where does all the money go? It's not spent on schools... not on our transportation system (our freeway system is now at the bottom of the barrel, just like our education)... Can anyone say healthcare? It's going to run this state to the poorhouse (already has actually).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info guys....

Well to compensate for education and roads the income tax and many other taxes would have to go up too.... just like canada...= no good even though i grew up there

I like it to stay two tiered..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
also if I have an out fo state plate, I wouldnt have to follow CA rules like the need for a front plate and no front tint.... i dotn know the rules in oregon so i could very well be wrong

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
daeojkim said:

:werd: Over the years I've known several people who drove down from Seattle to buy a new vehicle in Oregon, thinking they could save on the taxes :rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.