E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in jersey, and there's an e46 i want to buy in florida. My plan is to fly down there and if it is what they say it is, pay for it and drive it back home. Now my question for those who may have done this before.....What steps are involved in this, do i have to file for a temporary registration in FL or in NJ. The registration thing is my biggest hurdle because i imagine wherever i have to register it i can just fax the info to my insurance company and be done with that. Thanks in advanced guys

·
Registered
8,001 Posts
Registration isn't a big deal. "I'm sorry officer, I just bought the car yesterday." Then you could have a bill of sale and other documents in the car. Once you get home, then you go through the title, tax, and registration process.

You mentioned insurance. You may want to run it by your insurance and make sure you'll be covered for you drive back up.

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
most insurance cover new vehicle under existing insurance up to 15 days.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
In MD and VA ins companies will allow you 48 hours to report a new vehicle purchase and will cover you with same coverage on the car that you traded! Unless you trade... You need to call first to be sure of what they do in your state. The last thing you want is an accident and nobody will pay for it.

Tags vary by state as well. Some issue transport tags for this type thing...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmm that's good feedback guys, thanks for all the responses, they all seem pretty reasonable but how am i going to get all the way up here with no plates lol. Not being sarcastic btw i really do appreciate the responses.

·
Registered
111 Posts
It varies from state to state, your best bet is to call the DMV in Florida and see what they require before you head out.

I flew from detroit to NJ to buy my car, and I needed the title (of course) but also had to call my insurance company while at the DMV so that they could switch my insurance over to the new car and fax a copy over before I left. I was then able to get a temporary registration and temporary paper plate for the rear window (good for like 20 days or so) and drove it home.

Also, I would advise you to set up a pre-purchase inspection at a local independent shop down in FL. Call and arrange it before you go down there.

Good luck!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dishwab thanks for the reminder, i just looked up some shops in the area to do he ppi. Anyways i'm still looking for local cars so i don't have to go through with this but i really do want that florida car, its like calling out to me lol

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Loose... Call your NJ DMV... They may have transport tags for you for cheap... As long as you are insured they may be able to give you temp tags for transport. Easiest and best legal way to do it.

·
Registered
8,001 Posts
are you suggesting moving plates from one to another? I am sure that's illegal in every state.
Only long enough to make it home...

Running with no plate at all will get him stopped at every single county line on the east coast :rofl:

When went to pick up my M3 from california, the previous owner just let me have the old cali plate.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Don't move your plates, that's a ticket for sure! I just did this 2 weeks ago from Chicago to Tn. I posted a bill of sale on the back window, and had a signed title with me of course. I had no problems, but then again i didn't get followed or pulled over by a cop either. I was a little nervous, but whatdya do? I asked the guy in Chicago about what they did since he wasn't comfortable lending a stranger (me) his tag for the journey, and he said that's what they do. That's also what we do here. You can't even buy a drive out tag in my state for a private sale, i'm told.
Drive safe and slow and save the racing for after you are home and it's all legal and tagged.
Oh, and by the way, i'd feel out the seller pretty good. If he/she is a good communicator and doesn't dodge your questions, sends you lots of pics, etc. you're probably getting a decent car. If they aren't willing to pick you up at the airport IN THE CAR, i wouldn't do it. Lots of crazy folks out there and you'll probably be travelling with some, if not all, cash.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I recently flew down to Oregan and drove the car I bought back. I used the Oregan plates for the drive home. Also on hand was the title, registration and bill of sale.
Back in Washington I did the required emissions test then went and paid taxes and licensing fees.

I also ran a carfax to make sure it had a clean title and it was currently registered to the seller

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Not sure about the plates or temporary tags but make sure you insure it before you drive it home. Probably you can get away with the title and bill of sale in case you get pulled over, but not without the proof of insurance. Just call up the insurance and add it to your insurance with the vin and all. You will need insurance and emissions anyway when you go to register the car also you will have peace of mind if anything unfortunate happens.

When I purchased my car, I called my insurance and added it while I was at the dealership even before I signed the papers.
Well with the dealers here, they need proof of insurance before they give you the keys. They needed a faxed copy of proof of insurance. But I am not complaining, I felt it was a good thing that they are concerned about the laws and not just to make money.

Forgot to add:
DMV does not provide you temp tags for a private sale. Only dealers are allowed to give the temp tags. At least that is how it is in CO.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Its not my business but with the cost of the flight, fuel to bring the car back, and the mindfcuk paperwork why are you even considering this option?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^^ wow really ??? that is a pretty damn good price lol can i get the info of the company you used. and yea ac i've considered that and i was actually also using this as an excuse to take a trip to florida anyways, my gf's always wanted to go to florida. anyways thanks again for all the feedback guys.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts