E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I’m really new to the BMW world and have nvr owned one before. I did my research and with my budget Im thinking on settling for a 2001 5spd 330ci. The guy I thinking about buying it from is selling it with rust, differential and subframe damage. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to guide me in the right direction and let me know if it’s a good idea to buy it or not. If it’s not worth the headache and I should keep looking for another one let me know.

·
Premium Member
2005, E46 Convertible, 330CI M Sport Auto, Mystic Blue, 80k Miles
452 Posts
I'd be giving that I wide berth. There are loads of good ones out there to choose from.

·
Super Moderator
'02 330i 5-Speed
6,002 Posts
Run away. As stated above, there are plenty of nicer examples on the market. Absolutely no reason to go for a basket case (yet).

Here's the buyer's guide:

·
Super Moderator
1,993 Posts
OP- think long and hard about any BMW purchase. The cars on the market now often attract new buyers because they are cheap, sporty and were once expensive...

but the saying around here is: There is nothing more expensive than a cheap BMW.

The only way a 20-yr old BMW works is if you can do nearly all the work yourself. Even then, the car's purchase price is almost meaningless. It will cost you $1500 in year 1 and $1,000+ per year after that in maintenance, some years less.

If you go forward, find the cleanest, rust-free car you can find, and travel to a rust-free state if you have to..

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Good advice given so far. I'd pass. Rust is difficult to mitigate. There are other cars available in better condition. Effduration makes a very good point in that you'll be spending about $1,000 USD a year on maintenance. If properly maintained, these cars are fun to drive. If not, these cars become a pain in the neck. Good luck with your search.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,528 Posts
rust and subframe damage..
No you’re better off looking for a different car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts