E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Buying 328CI, good price ?

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  dmax 
#1 ·
Hey im Joel, from Newcastle

Just after a few opinions on what the e46 im looking at is worth.

Its a 2000 328CI, Auto, Topaz blue with light grey leather interior. Optioned with sat nav, reverse sensors and Harmon Kardon audio.

Really nice clean car,100% original, full service history and only done just over 100,000 km's.

The owner said he will take $16000. Is that a good price?

I really want the mspec but all of them i have looked at either have dodgy service history, or have too many km's. If anyone knows of a good one let me know!

Cheers

#9 ·
The early cars mostly 323/238's have a few really big issues that the later cars are for the most part without.

The automatics are just not that good and they can lose reverse gear.
The early cars subframe design is flawed. It can tear leaving you with a huge repair bill.

100k KM is pretty low milage but still if you plan on keeping the car for a while get a 325/330.

#12 ·
subframe inspection is key...or you'll be looking at another $10,000 Aus to fix it...judging from your car prices! It's a big deal and most common on the old cars. You can inspect yourself in part. Failing to see a crack, though, isn't a guarantee that one isn't starting above the rear, rear axle carrier bushings.

Search titles here for subframe inspection and find out how to check yours...before you buy the car. Also, check out really well for signs of blown head gasket/head issues. Be careful. It's an old car and it will have issues despite the mileage.

#14 ·
New floor thanks to bmwna and JMK BMW body shop!

The more I think about it, I don't think it's fair I race my car against anyone, Mango. I know I'll be faster than most just coz of my wheels...and as we're seeing rampant subframe issues here, I'm worried we'll lose some cars as you suggest!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.