BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ill introduce myself really quick.

Im Artan5's brother.

Im back and forth on buying a new car and I finally made myself do it. I have the money and economy to do it so im doing it.

I just want to make sure I make the best decision.

It was between spending a little more to buy a Porsche 911 03 or a 04 M3. I measured the diffrences and the expenses in them both and relised the M3 is a beast, alwayes loved the hell out of it. It just makes more sense to get a M3 and have some more spending money to ...we you know ;)

MY POST:

Latly ive been browsing threw this forum and enjoying 99.99% of the things on there. I love reading some comments people make. But it scared the hell out of me when I came accross this forum and this thread
http://216.118.86.224/m3forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7300&perpage=15&pagenumber=6

I heard about this on the 01 models and I see its relevent on some 03 models. This is pritty ****ty!
Is it as bad as it seems?
On this thread it seems like everyone as the problem :(lol

After spending 55K on a sports car I dont think these problems should arrize...

Give me your oppinions please.

Also when is the new M3 supposed to be released? I dont want one to come out a year after I get mine :(

And anyone in the Dallas area can tell me the best dealer to buy at?

And options suggestions would be super greatly appreciated!

Ill be ordering it so I make sure I get what I want.

Thank You very much in advance!!

·
Flex UK Style
2,563 Posts
cowmoo32 said:
Go for it. Dont be scared and never look back.

Well, at least look back on the people you smoke!

M3 is a fanstastic all round car, and you've made a wise decision. There's a saying, you can please some of the people, some of the time, you can't please all the people, all of the time.

You've found some people who've *****ed about the M3, I can show you the same amount of people who have *****ed about the 911, hell, some people even ***** about the Enzo.

At the end of the day, you're buying new, hence you get an iron clad warranty. Touch wood, you don't get a lemon, and even if you do, you're covered. Buy from a reputed dealer, make REALLY good friends with your sales and service reps and they will look out for you.

And post pics when you get it!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Go for it, the car is worth it!

The M3 is a great and worth every penny. Even though the 1200 miles gets on some peoples nerves it's well worth it after that. The engine failure is only for 2001 M3 as far as I know. So far I've had no problems with my M3 and I love it :thumbup:

The new M3 will come out 2006 or around there, and it will be ugly. Search the forum for pictures and you'll see that it's really ugly. :ben: I really hope they do something about it. The only good thing I see about the new M3 is that it has 400 horses and a V8. The 2006 M3 will have 4 doors and the new M4 will have 2.

So my advice is, get the M3 now! It is well worth it and can hold its ground against many cars. There aren't that many cars that can beat a stock M3. Against a 911, comparing the both you can see that the M3 doesn't cost as much and has better performance.

I don't live in Dallas but I know there are many M3 owners that live in Dallas. So good luck with your decision.

·
name's PHIL
6,087 Posts
go for it.......especially if u r financially stable to do it........the next M3/4 will be out 3+ years from now so just trade then for the new one............enjoy

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BigFas said:

, hence you get an iron clad warranty. Touch wood, you don't get a lemon, and even if you do, you're covered. Buy from a reputed dealer, make REALLY good friends with your sales and service reps and they will look out for you.

And post pics when you get it!
Is the lemon still out there?

Also I read something about the warranty that it covers wear and tear things like break pads, rotors, etc.. Is this true? Are they also extending the 04 M3 warranty to 5/100K?

Thanks everyone for your quick response really appreciate the help.

:):D

·
Registered
222 Posts
GlobalM3 said:
Is the lemon still out there?
A "lemon" is a one-off car that was built poorly/wrong. All manufacturers have the occasional lemon. But they recognize this and if you get one, they will generally buy it back or exchange it - and there are state laws requiring this (if they can't fix it in a certain number of tries, or within a specific time - which vary by state).

The M3 engine failure was a result of a design change not getting properly communicated to manufacturing, with a combination of factors (tight bearing clearances and low output on the oil pump) causing the problem. BMW is repairing all the affected vehicles for free and extending the warranty. Thus, it isn't technically a lemon.
Also I read something about the warranty that it covers wear and tear things like break pads, rotors, etc.. Is this true? Are they also extending the 04 M3 warranty to 5/100K?
You're confusing two things - the warranty covers things that fail outside of normal wear and tear (examples would be a leaking windshield, air conditioner that doesn't work, etc.) and "free maintenance" covers scheduled maintenance (oil changes and so forth) and most wear and tear items (wiper blades and brakes are covered, most tire items are not). The warranties for various parts of the car run for different lengths of time (emission and SRS stuff runs longer than the rest, as required by law in the US).

Be sure to look at what you're actually getting if you are interested in "extended warranty" plans - you can extend the warranty and/or the maintenance under most plans, but check to make sure you're getting what you think you're getting.

I believe the M3 "engine parts lubricated by oil" warranty extension was only provided for the date range of affected cars.

Your dealer should be able to pull the warranty and service information booklet out of the glove box of one of their showroom cars and let you review it, though. That is the definitive answer to your questions.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The recall was for a specific VIN range of (mostly) 02 models. BMW extended the 6yr/100k warranty for all 01, 02, and 03 models, but not for 04. Double-check with your dealer.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
911 X50

lol

Yea right. Thats a 11K option. Ill be smart and take that 11K and put it somewere else I could put 7 in my car and the rest keep and make the M3 a beast.

Although I have drivin a X50 911 and its dagerously fast :)

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
the new 3 series is due out 2006 i believe.. and the 4 series 1 year after... the M3 will come out 1 year after the 3 series and the M4 will come out 1 year after the 4 series..

which means you got PLENTY of time before ur car gets replaced...

as for the warantee, i think the extended 100k is for 01-03.. not sure tho, check with dealer..

·
Registered
182 Posts
InSaNeM3 said:
The engine failure is only for 2001 M3 as far as I know. So far I've had no problems with my M3 and I love it :thumbup:
COMPLETELY WRONG.

The recall work must be done on M3's manufactured from 10/01 to 2/02, which means very '02 M3's are affected.

There have been reports of '03.5 M3 engines exploding. A certain number of engine faliures can be expected of high-performance turned automobiles. Even Civic engines explode without any mods. It happens. However, abnormal amounts of faliures can only be linked to early '02 models (not sure if ANY '01's got recalled... since August is a dead month for production and October is probably a 2002 model).

·
Registered
182 Posts
SmurfM3 said:

COMPLETELY WRONG.

The recall work must be done on M3's manufactured from 10/01 to 2/02, which means very '02 M3's are affected.

There have been reports of '03.5 M3 engines exploding. A certain number of engine faliures can be expected of high-performance/tuned automobiles. Even Civic engines explode without any mods. It happens. However, abnormal amounts of faliures can only be linked to early '02 models (not sure if ANY '01's got recalled... since August is a dead month for production and October is probably a 2002 model).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts