E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Need a bit of advice on my 2003 325i (120,000 miles). My car overheated and was taken to the bmw dealership and I was told the head gasket was blown and it will cost an arm & leg (maybe even my first child...LOL). I'm not interested in flushing more cash towards the car, but I'm not sure how to get rid of the car. Donation? Private sale, if so, how much? Is it worth anything? I'd like to get some advice from the pros on here to guide me on the next steps of possible this to do or not do. :banghead::idea:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

Need a bit of advice on my 2003 325i (120,000 miles). My car overheated and was taken to the bmw dealership and I was told the head gasket was blown and it will cost an arm & leg (maybe even my first child...LOL). I'm not interested in flushing more cash towards the car, but I'm not sure how to get rid of the car. Donation? Private sale, if so, how much? Is it worth anything? I'd like to get some advice from the pros on here to guide me on the next steps of possible this to do or not do. :banghead::idea:
you could always part it out. people here will pay for good OEM parts.

·
Registered
2005 330i manual transmission performance package
3,880 Posts
Find a independent bmw shop and tow your car there for a second opinion. If they confirm the gasket is gone, it may still be cheaper to swap the engine with a used one. Otherwise - part out the car if you have space in your garage. If you sell it as is, you are not looking at more than $1K (probably much less). The easiest way to get rid of the car of course is to donate it: NPR for instance will tow it away and do the paperwork for you, just hand them the pink slip.
Not a pro, sorry, just my opinion.

·
Registered
198 Posts
:(, an owner who is going to dump a 2003 325i because they didn't pay attention to their instruments enough, overheated the car, and ruined a part that can be replaced. Enjoy your life outside of perfection.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
:(, an owner who is going to dump a 2003 325i because they didn't pay attention to their instruments enough, overheated the car, and ruined a part that can be replaced. Enjoy your life outside of perfection.
:confused:

Relax.

OP I think you should part the car. You can make a lot off parts if you're willing to spend the time snapping pics and shipping stuff out. Also, you're in CA, and that is where like 90% of fanatics are so you should be able to find some local buyers for the big stuff.

Good luck with whatever you do. :thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts