E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope someone can give me a difintive answer to this question. I have a 2001 M3 with Business cassette head unit and CD changer. I plan to add an ICE Link to use my Ipod and ideally at the same time I would like to replace the cassette head with a Business CD head unit so I can still play CD's. As the CD unit was available as an option, I assume this would be a simple plug and play but in checking the price of the CD player with the dealer, he said it would cost up to $2000 to install the new head unit. He didn't seem know what this would entail but I can't believe it could be that complicated. I see used players on eBay that seem to indicate they are easy to install. Does anyone know what is required to replace a cassette deck with the CD player?

·
Registered
447 Posts
sboggs said:
I hope someone can give me a difintive answer to this question. I have a 2001 M3 with Business cassette head unit and CD changer. I plan to add an ICE Link to use my Ipod and ideally at the same time I would like to replace the cassette head with a Business CD head unit so I can still play CD's. As the CD unit was available as an option, I assume this would be a simple plug and play but in checking the price of the CD player with the dealer, he said it would cost up to $2000 to install the new head unit. He didn't seem know what this would entail but I can't believe it could be that complicated. I see used players on eBay that seem to indicate they are easy to install. Does anyone know what is required to replace a cassette deck with the CD player?
you dont need anything extra to replace the cassette deck
your going through the same dilemma i am going through. dont buy it from the stealerships 2000 dollers seem VERY expensive for a 10 minute job. all you have to do to install a oem head unit is take off the trim pieces up on the dash thats next to the oem head unit and take out 2 screws next to it that secure it in. then the head unit comes out with wires attached to the back. in our case, we will have 3 one small metal antenna, one rca like antenna, and the big rectangle thing on the left side. the two antennas will slide out but the big rectangle thing you will have you grab the top part and pull up and it will come loose. to swap the units all you have to do is put the antennas in the right place and the rectangle unit in the right place, everything will be the same as long it is a 99-2001 head unit whereas the 2002+ head units are different.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts