BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I bought new Wheels for my car yesterday, got them balanced and put on at the tire shop today.

Before I got the Wheels Balanced there was a wobble when i was driving so i thought it was just a balancing issue. So i got the new Wheels balanced and they noticed as they were putting them back on that my front left wheel was moving when they torqued the wheel. So we looked under the car and it looks like a Bushing is gone.

Here is a Pic of the bushing, does anyone know what this is called? and how easy/hard it would be to replace?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
GOD Have you ever read this forum? at all? thats a control arm bushing. The bushing is in there and that what it looks like. They should prolly be replaced.

·
Registered
54 Posts
that's the front control arm bushing. it's not all to hard to replace. before you replace it just make sure your ball joint is still good. u can check this by taking off your wheel and try wiggling your axle and you'll see if it moves. there should be no movement in that ball joint. On the e46 you you have to change the whole control arm in order to get replace your ball joint. pm me if you have any other questions.

-Brandon

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Brandon for actually helping me out with a solid answer instead of trying to make me feel dumb like the other posts.

Clearly I am new at this and do not know what everything is on my car. Thats why I asked, so if you don't have an actual answer, keep it to yourself.

So thanks again to the guys who actually help. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Thanks Brandon for actually helping me out with a solid answer instead of trying to make me feel dumb like the other posts.

Clearly I am new at this and do not know what everything is on my car. Thats why I asked, so if you don't have an actual answer, keep it to yourself.

So thanks again to the guys who actually help. :thumbsup:
Well no. Thats not really how it works here. If YOU come in asking questions that have been asked to death, without SEARCHing, you will receive smart ass comments and essentially, be ***** slapped left and right.

Try :search: for questions that have obviously been answered repeatedly.

Your question is sort of like asking: " What is this part" when looking at a door handle. No offense. Im sure your not stupid or anything, but stupid is as stupid does, around here.

Just trying to help ya out. I see your low post count and thats ok, just learn how it ought to be done.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
BTW, you can get a great deal on CAs and FCAB at FCP Grouton.com. Includes CA/FCABs, Tie rods, sway links and if you are really smart you might go ahead and do your springs and dampers.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hey Dave...don't take it personally. It's kinda like going into a bar you've never been before and want to play darts. Best to find out the pub's protocol prior to just walking up and stating that you have the next game.

Although new to this forum, I've been on many forums, and found them to be the most helpful resource a guy can have regarding motor vehicles. Most guys are full of wisdom, some full of crap, others who just want to rant and rave, but mostly a bunch of guys & gals who are willing to share what they have learned or experienced.

They do have a point about performing a search for something prior to asking about it. Once you search and don't find what you seek be sure to preface that in your question ;)

Hope it helps brother. We're all in this together.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Similar problem here: I replaced my control arms and bushings, but still get some wheel wobble. Does this indicate that tie rods need done?

OP, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Similar problem here: I replaced my control arms and bushings, but still get some wheel wobble. Does this indicate that tie rods need done?

OP, welcome to the forum.
Steering flex coupler
Tie rods
Sway links
Wheels not balanced
Tires out of round
Steering rack

Could be a lot of things. Wheel wobble, being kind of vague for a diagnosis online.

·
Registered
383 Posts
go look at my thread, i have a DIY on how to take them off the arms with a $3.00 C-clamp. I can do both mine in less than an hour.

BTW even brand new bushings give play. You will know when they are getting bad, as the car is not as stable on the road, the front end starts feeling loose, you might get some twitching from the wheels if you pulse the brake. They only last about 30,000 km.
Its the weekness in the front end but i rather change tose ever couple years than friggin ball joints!

·
Banned
6,698 Posts
Front control arm bushings. Replace the left and right CAB at the same time. You'll need another alignment after that's done. Mine is pretty shot, and has some play, but I've simply put it off. One of mine is heavily worn and shot for the most part, been riding on it for over a year now :rofl:. I'd rather sell my car before fixing anymore ****.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Well no. Thats not really how it works here. If YOU come in asking questions that have been asked to death, without SEARCHing, you will receive smart ass comments and essentially, be ***** slapped left and right.

Try :search: for questions that have obviously been answered repeatedly.

Your question is sort of like asking: " What is this part" when looking at a door handle. No offense. Im sure your not stupid or anything, but stupid is as stupid does, around here.

Just trying to help ya out. I see your low post count and thats ok, just learn how it ought to be done.
All the effort put into being snarky could be put into being helpful. It's just counterproductive. PEACE.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Front control arm bushings. Replace the left and right CAB at the same time. You'll need another alignment after that's done. Mine is pretty shot, and has some play, but I've simply put it off. One of mine is heavily worn and shot for the most part, been riding on it for over a year now :rofl:. I'd rather sell my car before fixing anymore ****.
ii've change about 5 sets on my car and never needed an alignment. my tires wear perfectly and car goes straigg

·
Banned
6,698 Posts
ii've change about 5 sets on my car and never needed an alignment. my tires wear perfectly and car goes straigg
I don't know the technical name for the part, but the piece of metal that bolts onto the car that houses the bushing, do you remove it to install the new bushing, or do you leave it mounted and simply pull out the old rubber, and install the new bushing? If so... how do you get the control arm out of it?

I've always read that if you unmount the housing, you should get an alignment.

You think I can take it to an indi shop and have them just replace the bushing itself?

·
Registered
383 Posts
I don't know the technical name for the part, but the piece of metal that bolts onto the car that houses the bushing, do you remove it to install the new bushing, or do you leave it mounted and simply pull out the old rubber, and install the new bushing? If so... how do you get the control arm out of it?

I've always read that if you unmount the housing, you should get an alignment.

You think I can take it to an indi shop and have them just replace the bushing itself?
go search my DIY you'll see what needs to be replaced.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts