E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I've been reading for a while and have found the forum very insightful! I currently have a burning rubber smell when I get out of my car after driving a while and a rubbing sound when turning left while coasting... any ideas? Belts look OK and cv boots were good about a month ago when I changed the oil...

04 325xi sedan btw.
Thanks for any ideas!

Sent from my MB860 using Bimmer

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
The smell may be from your valve cover gasket drippingon the exhaust manifold. Mine does that about every other time I drive it. One drop is enough to stick it up for a few minutes.

Do you have stock rims and tires on your car?

·
Registered
10 Posts
for the burning smell check the valve cover gasket probably leaking due to old age, inspect the heatshield on the far exhaust manifold normally there is evidence there. not sure about the rubbing sound though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ill check the vcg tomorrow... its original at 100kmi. No, aftermarket but I've had them on for the last 30kmi with no issues... 16x6.5 from tirerack, hubcentrick...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking wheel bearing or axle for the rubbing noise... kinda metallic...

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
you know what I am smelling this kind of burning today too after a drive. it did not smell like oil at all and I could smell it on the passenger side of the engine.
I am thinking just brakes getting hot.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No clicking... was thinking maybe brakes but its not quite the same as when my rear caliper froze... btw BMW was the only place to get our special rear calipers. Boo... both axles we're replaced at 50kmi with BMW axles, I kinda hope its not that again. Its more of a metal bushing rubbing noise, maybe its the lcab going bad or the strut bearing in the mount. Also noticed the coils aren't seated properly, ill have to fix that in the spring... And no lift, I can only afford jackstands and ramps for now... :-( Im planning to get the bilstein/h&r combo along with all mounts and powerflex lcab, I like the reviews and comes as a package, just fyi as im not replacing things that ain't broke just yet!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Presumably you have considered the axle output area under the exhaust manifold. There is a spinning joint there, with a bearing and a seal. If inner cv boot, or axle shaft seal leak; it gets sprayed onto underside of exhaust manifold. Gear lube or whatever is in CV joints. Look for a wet stripe on your undershield that goes from front to rear under the exhaust area.

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
Presumably you have considered the axle output area under the exhaust manifold. There is a spinning joint there, with a bearing and a seal. If inner cv boot, or axle shaft seal leak; it gets sprayed onto underside of exhaust manifold. Gear lube or whatever is in CV joints. Look for a wet stripe on your undershield that goes from front to rear under the exhaust area.
I think you are absolutely right about this.
My replacement axle is seeping small amount of diff fluid through the axle seal. I have replaced the axle seal but seems like some guy pointed out the Napa reman axle is not machined right near the seal so the seal is not tight enough.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the thought, but the front diff and boots are dry, just degreesed entire area after the last inner boot failed... im thinking lcab or strut mount bearing. Prob vcg for the smell... replacing it in march with the vanos seals.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
You and me both! ^^

I am slowly building a parts list and buying all the stuff I need for several weekends worth of DIY... VCG and Vanos seals are top on the list. But I figured while I was in there... I might as well replace the water pump, hoses, fan and maybe the radiator. The list keeps growing...

·
Registered
819 Posts
When I had my E46, I was burning some oil...and some was getting on the manifold.

But, I also had a raccoon that crawled into my engine bay and decided to sleep in there until the next morning when I cranked it and killed it. That thing roasted on the exhaust manifold for awhile and boy did that burn.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow! A raccoon fit in there?

Ecs has a nice cooling system kit, almost everything. Just need a fan clutch if you have a slushbox like me (not by choice.)

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
You and me both! ^^

I am slowly building a parts list and buying all the stuff I need for several weekends worth of DIY... VCG and Vanos seals are top on the list. But I figured while I was in there... I might as well replace the water pump, hoses, fan and maybe the radiator. The list keeps growing...
I'd do a stewart pump, thermostat, expansion tank and cap for the cooling overhaul. The hoses and radiator should last 200k miles.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Yup... I just replaced the thermostat about 10k miles ago but will install a fresh one. I just as soon put in a new radiator too. They are only $150... Seems like cheap insurance to me. (Or at least peace of mind for me.)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts