BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my oil about 7,500 miles ago. Since then, I've had to add a total of about 2.5 quarts (Mobil 1 0W-40). There is no leak (my garage floor is clean). It's a 2002 325i with about 130,000 miles. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. No blue smoke. A little white smoke, but not much. I don't know if that's because of the weather (I live in MA).

·
Registered
255 Posts
its normal.. i am running same oil grade as you are and brand.. i suually do 7.5 quarts in my 330.. and after about 3000miles i would have the oil light come on, and i just add about a quart go for another 1 thousand miles, then i change it..

i usually tend to change my oil at 3500-4000 miles..

-Steph'

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was all of the sudden...I just changed my oil with BMW oil so I'll be curious to see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
90 Posts
A sudden change in oil consumption is a bad sign. Be on the lookout for anything amiss.

Also, watch for blue exhaust smoke when you start the engine cold. You might miss the smoke that bad valve seals generate because the exhaust would be normal most of the time. Doesn't sound like a prime candidate in your case, but easy enough to check more carefully for it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have been adding a quart every 3k since 20k, and I have 66k now...

One question though... if you look under your oil cap what color is it? I'm seeing some orange/brown "gunk."

Any ideas?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Touch wood... my 99 328i has 115K miles, the oil's been changed every changed every 15K miles :eek: and it uses not a drop. I've had the car since new; break-in was gentle for the first 1000 miles (no more than 3500 rpm and 3/4 throttle) and after that the rev limiter was checked with some regularity once the engine was up to temp.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I tend to burn approx. 0.5 qts every 7500 miles. I always thought this to be too much, but it appears I am burning less than many others in the forum.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I tend to burn approx. 0.5 qts every 7500 miles. I always thought this to be too much, but it appears I am burning less than many others in the forum.
I believe the BMW NA threshold for excessive oil use is if the engine uses more than 1qt per 1000 miles.:str8pimpi

·
Registered
43 Posts
have a friend drive behind you while you really get on the car. it could be putting out little puffs of smoke that are so thin they disappear by the time you'd be able to see them in your mirror.

my 330 has been going through oil. you can only see the smoke if youre behind the car. it puts out little puffs at shift points.

time for new valve stem seals. :(

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I know it's been almost four months since this thread's been ttt, but to those with this problem, does your exhaust smell bad at W.O.T? I've been burning oil and it's starting to become exponential. It's causing enough concern for me that I have to do something about it. What could cause this?

(I do have 80k mi. now and please don't tell me this is normal)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Burning oil does smell bad, usually a little like rotten eggs because of the sulfur in the oil. However, it's normal to burn a little at W.O.T. From my long years of Toyota ownership, to this day I recognize the smell of a Toyota engine burning oil while under high load.

I wouldn't panic about burning oil just because you're flogging the car. I'm at 70K miles myself, and my engine (the 3.0) continues to consume a quart about every 4K miles, just like when it was new.

"Exponential" oil consumption on the other hand sounds bad. Can you be specific about how much you're consuming now and at some point in the past?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Have you checked your air filter recently? Our 330ci had a crap aftermarket cone filter which had got clogged with dirt. The vehicle was struggling to breath and as such was running hotter and was using much more oil. She's happier with a clean filter. One thing to note is that if you don't have a stock filter and you take it for service they seem to leave this alone. So much for the complimentary cleaning with an oil change!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts